Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Last year I added tennis balls and a PVC extension to the cart.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... +balls+pvc

This cart has been a great little work horse except for one thing. It wouldn't always stay in place when the boat was lifted. Inspired by Apalach's excellent cart bungee, I worked up a variation. It uses eye bolts and looks like this:

Since I already had threaded extensions, I cut down a pair of 1/2 inch threaded end caps and installed some stainless eye bolts as illustrated:

Using Teflon tape these were threaded flush onto the extensions:

Once the wheels are through, simply bungee them to anything you can find -- the cart won't go far.

I tried a regular bungee but it unhooked too easily. So I made the one illustrated with the Hobie bungee hook which stays hooked on yet easily detaches, doesn't rust, and can be adjusted for length. It stores on the boat or on the eye bolts.

Even with the extra weight, it easily floats on water.

This brings up another point. Everyone uses their cart differently, but I let it do all the work possible. The boat hits the deck with wheels. Everything is tossed aboard and the the entire rig gets wheeled right into the water in one trip.

Once the gear is set up (paddle, Drive, etc.), the boat is tilted and the cart is extracted and stored in the cargo well. When the trip is over, the wheels are installed while the boat is still in the water and one trip takes everything back to the truck. 8)

One more thing. Depending on your launch area, the wheels can hold your boat in the ready position just off or at the shore line if you need to make a quick trip back to shore or just want to hang out until the wind comes up. Just like a parking brake! I use this feature quite often.:wink: