Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can find some new Molokai (spelling?) stripes for my 16? After 23 years mine have held up pretty well but would love to replace with new ones. Any help is appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If anybody could find those stripes, maybe they could find enough of the old Cat Fever stripes to do an 18.

I thought the Cat Fever sail's were some of the most attractive sails Hobie ever put out, and would love to have those colors back on an 18.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

My local Hobie dealer (Midwest Sailing) has a supply of the old hull stripes - but I'm not sure they have the Molokai colors. They may not have enough to do a whole boat, either.

Send Michael Ehnis an e-mail - mehnis(at)chartermi(dot)net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MUST5429 wrote:
If anybody could find those stripes, maybe they could find enough of the old Cat Fever stripes to do an 18.

I thought the Cat Fever sail's were some of the most attractive sails Hobie ever put out, and would love to have those colors back on an 18.

Stephen

What do the "Cat Fever" stripes look like? I picked up a decent set of older CF sails for my '86 H16. I also used rattle can spray to repaint the faded stripes (just painted right over the stripes), but I don't like my selection of colors and have been thinking of changing them.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine got so bad I just ended up taking them off. I think it actually looks cleaner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

skennedy wrote:
Mine got so bad I just ended up taking them off. I think it actually looks cleaner.

I believe thats where I'm headed with mine. Once removed there will be a brighter white than remainder of hulls probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think there were a couple of different "Molokai" stripes. But we've got a roll of one of them. Not sure how many feet long it is, but I'm guessing at least a few 16's worth. Stumbled upon it today while we were doing some reorg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Dog wrote:
I think there were a couple of different "Molokai" stripes. But we've got a roll of one of them. Not sure how many feet long it is, but I'm guessing at least a few 16's worth. Stumbled upon it today while we were doing some reorg.

Cool...I'm after the black/gray/silver style if you have it. It's for a H-16 so 16' x 2 is what is needed. Of course it might be askin too much but at the bow is the detail that comes to a point that would be nice. I could do without it as that part is still in good shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, no end pieces. Just the central body of the stripe. I haven't even bothered to check the part number or price. But it's the three stripe with those colors. If you want to call tomorrow, I'll see if we can't figure out how to help out each other.

800-536-9463

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I posted this somewhere here awhile ago, but anyway, as I mentioned above, if your stripes are solid and soundly adhered, but are just faded, in most cases it is cheaper and easier to paint them. Mine were faded gray, black, silver original to my '86. Since there were three individual stripes, I was able to use the edges of each stripe to mask off the others one at a time and get a perfect line. Then I used standard hardware store rattle can spray enamel to paint each one. If I don't like them I will either paint them again or peel them off. They look like new after two seasons:

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Dog wrote:
Sorry, no end pieces. Just the central body of the stripe. I haven't even bothered to check the part number or price. But it's the three stripe with those colors. If you want to call tomorrow, I'll see if we can't figure out how to help out each other.

800-536-9463

Brian

Copy that Brian. I'll try to give a call Monday. Sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

aschaffter wrote:
I think I posted this somewhere here awhile ago, but anyway, as I mentioned above, if your stripes are solid and soundly adhered, but are just faded, in most cases it is cheaper and easier to paint them. Mine were faded gray, black, silver original to my '86. Since there were three individual stripes, I was able to use the edges of each stripe to mask off the others one at a time and get a perfect line. Then I used standard hardware store rattle can spray enamel to paint each one. If I don't like them I will either paint them again or peel them off. They look like new after two seasons:

Looks great. Surprised paint held fast after 2 seasons for my own silly reasons. Appreciate the tip.

BTW my 86 H-16 has sail # 89112. Bought it new, taken good care of it and it has treated me well. Gotta be one of the most durable sailboats ever made! It has parted lotsa water up and down the eastern seacoast, same on the gulf coast, same on the "third coast" and many, many lakes throughout the US. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TexKat wrote:

Looks great. Surprised paint held fast after 2 seasons for my own silly reasons. Appreciate the tip.

BTW my 86 H-16 has sail # 89112. Bought it new, taken good care of it and it has treated me well. Gotta be one of the most durable sailboats ever made! It has parted lotsa water up and down the eastern seacoast, same on the gulf coast, same on the "third coast" and many, many lakes throughout the US. :D

I cleaned the stripes really well (good cleaner, followed by a wipe down with acetone). There are no signs of fading, peeling, or any type of degradation. I didn't do a good job of color selection however.

In addition to my 'Prism' sails (#89057), I also picked up a decent set of 'Tequila Sunrise' and 'Cat Fever' sails- my favorites. Before I go sailing I have to choose which sails to use. :D

Today while sailing on a friends Corsair F-27 tri I saw two Hobies, one with 'Carumba' sails which looked really nice and another with 'Mai Tai' sails. You could see the 'Mai Tai' with its bright pink upper panels from a real long way away- they really looked sweet!!!

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

aschaffter wrote:
TexKat wrote:

I cleaned the stripes really well (good cleaner, followed by a wipe down with acetone). There are no signs of fading, peeling, or any type of degradation. I didn't do a good job of color selection however.

In addition to my 'Prism' sails (#89057), I also picked up a decent set of 'Tequila Sunrise' and 'Cat Fever' sails- my favorites. Before I go sailing I have to choose which sails to use. :D

Today while sailing on a friends Corsair F-27 tri I saw two Hobies, one with 'Carumba' sails which looked really nice and another with 'Mai Tai' sails. You could see the 'Mai Tai' with its bright pink upper panels from a real long way away- they really looked sweet!!!

I've always liked the Carumba design. Mine are just the traditional white of which has always been my favorite. Have been entertaining the thought of smoke colored jib tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

aschaffter wrote:

You did an excellent job on the paint here, this is something I have been considering doing but I am pretty timid. Do you mind sharing your technique and materials?

Last edited by rbpower on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.