Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

DHT wrote:
YEY.... CONGRATULATIONS Wannahobie.... at last you got it. Well I hope you enjoy the last few weeks of the Summer... I am hoping to get back down to Mexico one more time before it cools off too much. I love it when the Sea is realy hot!! We've got the Kit now we need to install it whenver we get there....
:D Yup! Hope to install this week sometime. September provides some of the best sailing weather, so hopefully I will get a few weeks to test it out!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Traveller all intalled! Looks like it was meant to be there. Does not look like an add-on.

Now with the track I installed only the rivets at as the instructions called for; 2 in the center, the ends, and every third hole. I think I only used 6 out of the 18 rivits provided. I used a nut as a spacer, but if you do this, find one that fits very tight around rivit shaft. I think I used a #8 nut, and there was a little slop. That slight amount of slop actually allowed the rivet head to extrude back into the that tiny clearance, creating a 'nipple' like appendage which interfered with the car. No biggie, I just used a 5/16 drill to clean the heads back up.

Had a chance to try out in 8-10mph winds. I can see the improved sail shape when reaching. I think it will definitely prove itself with higher winds. It gives you the abilty to tune the shape using BOTH telltales as well as flattening out the twist at the clew end of the sail.

And my concern with stock sheet length proved to be unfounded. Even when travelled out all the way, there is still plenty of length. The only time you may need a longer sheet is if you install and use a trap kit. Something you don't need on Wave.

Bottom line, get it!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
...slight amount of slop actually allowed the rivet head to extrude back into the that tiny clearance, creating a 'nipple...

Actually that (above) was what I addressing -- with some fear and trembling -- here:

Quote:
The reason it is important to put a flat surface against the rivet head is that the head will shape into whatever is holding it down when you pop the rivet. There is a huge amount of pressure shaping the rivet head as you pop it. As I said in the other post, what holds the rivet head down has to be a flat surface like the rivet gun tip or you have a mess.

In other words, if you use something that has an indentation in it, it will leave a raised surface that the car will whack it as it rolls by.

But, good, you found a work-around anyway and exterminated the "nipple".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can the traveler kit be used on the Wave SE?

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

msp1957 wrote:
Can the traveler kit be used on the Wave SE?

Michael
Yes! With a few mods. See my post on June 11 2008 in this same thread (a few pages back). This mod frees up the top of the crossbar to fit the traveller kit. I have had this now for 2 summers, and will never look back! Mod is performing flawlessly, if I do say so myself :) as is the traveller.

2007 Hobie Wave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I broke 2 Arrow hand rivet tools (bent handle on one and other lost grip after the first rivet) I got from Home Depot before I found this one for $20 at Northern Tool. Super easy to use, little strength required for stainless steel. After I was done with it I donated it to my sailing club so nobody else would have to use the hand squeeze ones again ><

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200305349

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would also like to install a traveller but have a Hobie Classic/SE i.e. the tramp is secured to the rear crossbar with straps that wrap around the crossbar. Changing to a Club 3-piece trap would make the exercise prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone have any experience and perhaps photos of how I could swap out the straps for another solution and install the traveller in the correct position?

rgds

KenM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkCa1Ka5nr4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkCa1Ka5nr4

Hi guys,

I had some similar issues with my Wave traveler kit. The kit is an extremely useful thing to have on your boat and I recommend it for everyone as it gives greater control over your sailing and your sail shape. It turns your Wave from a toy into a sailboat! :)

The kit comes with a plastic "Accessory mounting plate" which is meant to be riveted to your cross bar.

It seemed a bit odd to me for the swivel cleat to be screwed/bolted onto the plastic piece, then the plastic piece secured with just one rivet to the crossbar to take the entire load from the traveller (rather than attaching the swivel cam directly to the boat).

I found that the screws provided were too short to thread through the metal baseplate and the plastic mount, into the metal of the crossbar. Perhaps I set it up wrong in the first place but I followed the instructions pretty carefully. Then I put an extra couple of rivets through the mounting plate to secure it. That's probably what weakened the plastic further and caused it to break.

Anyway as you can see in the photos here (via Youtube) the plastic mount broke so I ended up mounting the baseplate directly onto the crosspiece with rivets. It's stronger now than before although I would have liked to see a little larger hole in the bottom of the crossbar so that I could reach my fingers in to attach with bolts rather than rivets.

Tested it and all seems fine.

Thanks,
Matt in Viet Nam

Last edited by Matt-0 Mui Ne on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ken, please read Wannahobie's entry just three posts up. Then read the one he referenced there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Or just go here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52178#52178

(updating the thread)
:D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Reply to second question. Mast cradle. We put the two sections of the mast under the boat directly on the trailer on mast cradles they tie down a lot better than riding on the boat its self

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wannahobie wrote:
wannahobie wrote:
I have an SE Wave, but am performing a mod to get rid of the velcro straps and replace with lacing posts like on the Getaway, freeing up the top of the crossbar. I ordered the parts, just have yet to pick them up.

Traveller kit will need to wait this year though, have to many other expenses this summer. Definitely want the traveller option. We will see how the summer progresses. At any rate I will set to do it once I install the lacing posts. I will post my results once I do that mod.
Exploring other possiblies to allow for future install if traveller kit, In the Sailboat Classifieds on this site, I placed a feeler for my SE tramp which I may sell. Rather than drilling all those holes to modifiy my rear crossbar for lacing posts, I am re-thinking and exploring the possibility of just getting a club version tramp instead.

I just purchased a Wave this year as the SE model and have to say the tramp sucks! I recently went back to the shop I bought the Wave at and exchanged it for the Club version. I found the Classic or SE version tramp basically sait on the water anytime someone layed across it. Very poor design by Hobie.