Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of new video's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a dodger for the AI and really like it. Had some good wind today with the end of Fay.
I pulled the Mirage drive while saiing and you will see why all things should have lanyards attached. I am amazed how well the boat stays on course in the chop while not having a hand on the tiller.
We broke another rudder pin today. This is getting to be an everyday event.
I think the dodger was well worth the money. You stay cooler with the sun not hitting you directly and keeps the wind and water chill off too, Also handy for attaching small light things to that are on lanyards.
Anyway, here they are
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... rsIdsigns/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great videos.

Now, can you show us the camera mount you used to take them :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I second Kayaking Bob's request! I have been having fun sailing in the winds of TS Fay, but have been afraid to take my video camera out of the case to use it. A real waterproof housing is expensive, so I'm thinking about building something.

I wonder what's going on with your rudder pins? My wife and I have both sailed our boats pretty hard the past week or so, in addition to all the sailing the boats have seen since we got them in April, and neither has broken a pin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The camera is a POV 1
http://www.vio-pov.com/
I have put some pictures of the mount at the Photobucket site
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... rsIdsigns/
The really neat thing about this camera is the tagging option. You start the camera and it is always on and recording in memory. If you have something happen that you want recorded than just press the tag button on the remote and it will write to memory that portion, the time which can be set in the setup. Thus you can have at the days end just an hour or what ever time of the good stuff rather than sorting through hours of video. I have mine set on 3 minute clips. The camera is spendy but the quality is great. If I shoot in 720 x 480 a Playstation 3 will upconvert it to 1080 and is a knockout.
The PVC pipe can be changed and angle adjusted anyway I can imagine. I have yet to figure out how to show the chop or waves as exciting as they really are. Any suggestions I might try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, put that camera down on the forward aka where it will get plunged through the waves. A narrow field of view, but what the heck! It'll show the splashing excitement! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup. I like where you store the mirage drive. I may try storing my spare there.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: installing the dodger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RE: I got a dodger for the AI and really like it. Had some good wind today with the end of Fay.

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the excellent videos of you and your AI.

Question: Does installing the dodger require any drilling and/or modification to an AI?

It is starting to get cool on the water and the dodger may be a comfortable addition to my AI this coming Fall.

Thanks again.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ed.
Installation requires 8 fasteners being installed. Two are with nuts and the others are just screws. The directions give measurements and pictures. Measure 3 times and drill once. it will take 8 minutes, maybe 10. There are snaps that come with it but I didn't add because the fit is good without them. You can put the dodger on or remove in less than a minute.
There are no other mods to do. I can see the FF and GPS on their RAM mounts which are located by the rudder pull lines with no problem.
I will get some more pictures of the interior with me in it so you can get an idea of the room.

Post subject: Dodger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool...............did you make it? If not, where did you get it?
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie makes them. Your dealer can get it. If they order make sure they get one for the AI and not for the regular Adventure.
You could make one but by the time you got everything you needed and put it together it wouldn't be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My GPS/FF (Cuda) is mounted to the left of the mast just in from of the front crossbar. Do you think it would fit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good chance of it. Here are some pictures I took earlier before I mounted my stuff. You can get an idea of the way it works and is fastened.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... 0pictures/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I am going to order one. I think it may work. If not I'll have to move the gps. Do you get much water between the hull and the bottom of the Dodger?

Post subject: Dodger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a dodger with the AI, a year ago last February. Here, in the upper midwest, I kayak from mid-March thru late November, with the coldest water temps in the low 40's and air temps lower than that. My silver dodger is a god-send. Thanks Hobie. Now I just need a plug that completely seals the drive opening. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do get some in especially in the bigger chop. There can also be some shots coming in around the aka's and mast but these could be closed off better with some sponges or towels.
There are snaps that are supposed to fit between the fasteners that you see but I didn't put them in as there is not that much water coming in. Come cold water time I may add them :shock: