Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I made the update to the 08 cup reciever and new mast today. Not too difficult a task. First remove the front bar, then unscrew the old cup. Leave one screw half in to hold the inside ring so it doesn't get in the way inside when you take the bottom nut off the center bolt holding the V bar and cup in place. Then, from inside the front hatch, reach forward and unscrew the top sides of the V. Now twist the two V side turns to lift the V off the bolt. Remove the V and take out that last uptop screw and Remove the '07 cup. Put the new '08 cup in, reach inside and slide the new inner ring over the bottom and up onto the cup. Uptop, after carefully setting the thin sponge gasket over the correct screw holes, put the screws partically back into the new cup to hold it in place. YOU NEED TO GET TWO FLAT HEAD SCREWS THE SAME SIZE AS THE OLD ROUND TOP SCREWS. THE NEW RELEASE NEEDS ROOM TO PASS OVER THE SCREWS ON THAT SIDE. I had to run to hardware in the middle and get them. Inside again, re-attach the two upper sides of the V, and this will center the bottom V hole over the lower bolt. Slowly, a couple of turns on each side, twist and lower the V arms until the V bottom goes onto the lower center bolt. Put on the lower center nut. Outside, reaching in and holding the inner ring in place, finish fastening the screws, making sure they line up with the holes on the inner ring. Now reach inside and twist tighten the sides of the V until it's solid. // Now on the bar, unscrew the old metal catch and pull string. You don't need it anymore. (And good riddance!) Be sure to take this opportunity to retighten the screws holding the ball bearings in place! People have been losing them when the screws loosen. Now, re-attach bar / Put sail on new mast. // Insert into new cup. Works great with the new lever, and no more scooping sand and water out after surf sailing.

Post subject: Old Cup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I decided to hold off on the new mast cup, I like having the bearing seperate from the sail for maintenance issue. I have been using either a turkey baster or a a kerosene hand siphener to get the water and sand out and it works well also using it to get any water out of the hull that has leaked in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

what's the difference between the old and the new?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Admin

We reversed the connection fittings. Old was female in the hull and a male on the mast. Current is male in the hull and female on the mast. Less problems with wear for the fittings. Sand can not collect as it did in the older version. New is injection molded parts and a revised keeper system... tighter fitting and walled to help prevent sand and stuff from getting into the receiver area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the upgrade/change recommended? If so, what's the approxiamate retail? I all for promoting the longevity of my AI.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Not necessary. Just keep sand out of the cup. Wash it out before stepping the mast. You still have to do that with the new system.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks Matt, sound advice as always.