Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First sail
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:05 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

We had our 7 year old nephew over for a week and I decided to see how he would take to sailing. We took an AI over to the local lake.

I started him out in the cargo well where he appeared to be comfortable.

Didn't take him long to get into racing!

After awhile I put him in the cockpit where he could man the helm.

We both had a great time -- looks like he's got the makings of a sailor. The AI is a natural for introducing kids to sailing. Thanks To my friend Josh for the excellent pictures! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, Roadrunner. I'll bet your grandson will never forget that first sail.

Well done.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Roadrunner,
Looks like that AI grin is hereditary!
Isn't that a rare glimpse of your Dad with your nephew? :wink:
Just how many AI's are in the RR household fleet? Looks like you could all be on the water at once if you wanted! 8)

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for taking the time to post those delightful photos.

Post subject: awesome
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

that is what its all about, your smiles say it all

not only did he get out on your AI, when there are a few AI's together sailing close its really cool and exciting

those are some nice shoots I like the one from the front with ama's and aka's up high

thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Uncle Road Runner. :D
Now thats what the definition of fun looks like, it just does not get any better than that :lol:
I bet your nephew did not even want to go home after a day like that.
Thanks for posting such great action shots.
When I get my own AI someday you and the nephew can show me how to fly it :wink:

Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

stringy wrote:
G'Day Roadrunner,
Looks like that AI grin is hereditary!
Isn't that a rare glimpse of your Dad with your nephew? :wink:
Just how many AI's are in the RR household fleet? Looks like you could all be on the water at once if you wanted! 8)

Yes, that's what I meant! Actually the AI you see my Dad in is borrowed -- mine is blocked in the garage temporarily by another relative's furniture; hope to have it back in a week or two.

There are a few AI sailors who get together from time to time. It's always more fun with someone to chase around for those of us who didn't quite finish growing up!

I like your description the "AI grin"... Definitely true! :) :D

Thanks all for your great comments. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great stuff Roadrunner and proof, if needed, that life is for living!

I can imagine the thrill your nephew had dashing across the water barely inches form being in it. To my mind, it's the closeness to the water that makes it such good fun.

Thanks for the photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice pictures, Roadrunner! How many Islands do you have, anyway? I see three in the top picture, and one is in the garage?

I agree that the AI is great for introducing newbies to sailing. If anything, it's a little too easy to sail! Getting stuck in irons? Just pedal a little and take off again! ;)

It's not just for kids, either. My wife and I bought a pair of AI's, and her prior sailing experience was quite limited. A bit of sailing as a kid, a long gap, then some sailing with friends on cruising sailboats. Almost no small boat experience. I have quite a bit more experience, especially in small boats.

I chase her around the harbor all the time, looking in frustration at her poorly trimmed sail. How can she even keep up with me, let alone go faster??? She hasn't (yet) figured out how to go upwind faster than I do, but on other points of sail the AI seems pretty darn forgiving about sail trim. Or maybe she's right, and red ones are just faster. ;)

Post subject: Re: awesome
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakman wrote:
I like the one from the front with ama's and aka's up high

Very cool picture, but my favorite was the explosion of water around the buried ama viewed from astern. A bit overexposed, but an excellent picture.

Post subject: Lake?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Roadrunner,

What lake is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is Lake Hodges, West of Escondido in San Diego County and home to Hodgee the lake monster. http://www.hodgee.com/

If you live in the region, it's open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday and closed during the late Fall and Winter. A nice summer breeze typically begins late morning and peaks about mid afternoon. Because of the surrounding hills, winds are usually a little variable and gusty but there are a couple of nice sailing areas where winds are funneled, typically with a greater and steadier breeze than the surrounding areas.

The locale in the pics usually has relatively good wind and not too much chop -- on the right day one can be rewarded with some excellent speeds! 8)

Post subject: Hodge-podge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Roadrunner,

Thanks for the info. I have lived in San Diego County for some time now, but I don't believe I have ever visited Lake Hodges. I'll have to check it out.

My wife would like a "Mirage-drive" Hobie kayak, and I am holding out for the AI, but the budget will not accomodate these purchases just yet. Hopefully, we can do it in the near future.

In the meantime, I try to get a little bit of gratification with my windsurfing board. I may have to give Lake Hodges a try as a windsurfing locale -- the wind seems to be pretty lively in your photos.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

One of the spots has been used for windsurfing, but land access is temporarily closed until next year or 2010 due to construction. Access by water is easy, but not for the windsurfers, as you must head directly upwind for at least a mile to get there.

The other spot is in a high traffic area near the launch ramp so may be a bit risky.

BTW, you can always get the Adventure now and upgrade to the AI later (any except for the '06 model). I like to sail it also -- what it lacks in speed it makes up for in challenge. Even so, it's not too hard to get into the 5's and occasional 6's with it. I used to take it out with the wind surfers as they ran circles around me! 8)