Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fishing from the AI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all,

Has anyone fish from the AI with the Amas and sail in place?
If so, what's the best way to set-up the yak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have gone out twice, trailing a lure, but not yet caught anything, so I haven't found out the problems yet. I did find that you really have to clean off the reel though, because it gets soaked in salt water and corrodes very fast. I was concerned how to land the fish that I have yet to catch, and how to kill it, since blood in the water would not be a very good idea around here. (Shark breeding grounds) So I bought a device to clamp on the fish's jaw, and I carry a fillet knife too. But I am still waiting to experience my first catch. As I only go out on good sailing weather, it may take some time! But its a top fishing area.

One challenge is to furl the sail before getting into fighting the fish. For this reason I bought a bait runner reel, the idea being that the low drag can give me time to fix the sail and turn the boat. Not sure how much of a nuisance the mast will prove though. I think some folks drop the mast too, but its very long, and I could see that still presenting problems, unless leashed along the main hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fish weekly from my AI here in Maui.

I'm not a great fisherman yet, but I'm learning. I used the built in rod holders to start, but finally made a couple of extenders that work well for me.

They keep the reel farther from the water and is strong enough for me to lean on. My second rod & reel I still use in the built in holder most of the time and troll with both in good conditions, one close to the boat and one long so not to tangle on turns.

I've found I needed more room for gear and work area so I built a hammock.

It works great! Like having a counter or table right next to me while fishing.

On the sail, I tied a loop in the end of the sheet line and I tie the reefing line to it so I can reef the sail in 1-2 seconds when I hear the reel scream.

I haven't caught too many fish yet to test everything out, but did bring in a 22" Kaku (Great Barracuda) with this setup. Hoping for Mahi Mahi! :D

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, K-bob. Thanks!

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:) Yeaaaahhh! Really great pictures K-Bob.

What material did you use for the hammock?

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1" PVC pipe (outside one with a wooden broom handle in it to stiffen) with caps.
Shade cloth for the sling.
Currently bungees to hold it to the akas.

I may add some 1" strapping material to add strength for carrying home a large catch. :D

Works well, and is large enough to hold my gear, but small enough to paddle over (without removing or rolling up). Also it speeds up setup and cleanup, as I leave my gaffs velcroed in pockets in the hammock and just clip my gear to the hammock instead of stowing in the 'yak.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

K-Bob,

Thanks. Again Great Pics. I'm making a seatback out of 3/4" PVC with wood dowels to stiffen. A rod holder like yours with a sunbrella and a pivoting extension that swings across the cockpit is just what we've all been looking for. And now with that hammock, we can put all that yucky, stinky fishing stuff to one side and keep the cooler, food, GPS, radio, etc. right in our lap. Ahhh...life is great!!! :mrgreen:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, that's a bunch of stuff on your boat! I predict you'll be towing a tender vessel within a year. ;)

Is your daggerboard just sitting there, or is something holding it in that position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I predict you'll be towing a tender vessel within a year.

You're not the first to say that! :D

I came up with the dagger board holder so that the dagger board has it's home on the AI. I don't put in the dagger board until about 8mph winds (I use the turbo fins down instead). I feel that the drag of the dagger board offsets any better pointing till then. I also pull it on lighter down wind sailing.

Here's a better picture:

It's a simple loop of 1" strapping bolted in place with ss bolt, nut and washers. It works well and keeps it ready to use.

Only negative I've found, is it "Hides" the rudder pull down handle on launch.

Kayaking Bob
Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Bob. I want to figure out something better than just tossing the board in the well behind me. It's not all that convenient to reach, and I'm afraid it's going to go swimming some day, like my Mirage Drive did. Next time I'm in my boat I'll see if your solution will work. It looks to me like a problem because my feet are always in the last foothold or else against the bulkhead, and the tip of the daggerboard looks like it will be in the way. I wear my Crocs in the boat, and they're big and clumsy (but comfy for pedaling).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On loosing things over the side, everything in my AI is leashed (one way or another). For Dagger Board, I push the bungee through the eyelet near its opening and then clip a small carabiner to the bungee so it can't pull back out. The bungee can still slide in the eyelet enough to put in the Dagger Board, and I can use the carabiner as a handle to pull the bungee over the eyelet post for tension while sailing.

One the Mirage Drive, here are some pic's:

We had one AI slowly flip once because of a broken cross-brace but did not loose anything. We even use surfboard leashed to leash the captain! :lol:

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: Fishing from the AI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations on showing the intelligence to choose such a wonderful boat. You will love it.

As for me, the end of my second year of fishing from the AI is closing in and it has been a great experience, quite different from any other boat I've ever used. The first mod I completed was the installation of a sonar. Then after losing two rods and reels out of the way-too-shallow built-in rain gauges, I have since added a milk crate behind the seat with two homemade and secure rod holders and a third one in the rear cup holder. Having a lot of 1 1/4 strapping around I got my wife to sew a tramp that is suspended between the akas on one side much like the one described above to hold additional gear. I'm still working on getting her to make another one.

A typical outing with the AI is sail to a favorite area, then reduce sail and troll over the fish-holding structure a few times and once a concentration of biting fish is pinpointed, I furl the sail completely, quietly lower the anchor, stand up and cast for more fish. Once that school has moved out (or I've caught them all :wink:), I bring up the anchor, pull out the sail and boogie to the next spot and repeat as often as necessary or until its dark.

One of the first skills I needed to learn with the AI was how to pull in one or the other of the amas with one hand while trying not to lose a large fish working my rod hand. My second day trolling from the AI, I hooked up with a huge northern pike. It towed the boat around for at least 15 minutes before I even got a glimpse of it. It was further complicated because my german shepherd, Mikie, who was riding along, wanted to tangle with the fish when it was still several feet from the boat. While Mikie may not be the biggest german shepherd around he's close at 110 pounds and still growing at only 16 months of age! After folding in the ama on the starboard side, it was rather anti-climactic lip-gripping the beast (the pike, not the dog--though things might have settled down quite a bit faster if I'd done it the other way round.) The fish measured 48 and 3/4 inches long and weighed around 35 to 40 pounds I'm guessing. Once I got its tail out of Mikie's mouth, we released it--good brood stock.

For not losing big fish, folding in one or other of the amas is crucial at a moments notice for me when trolling and hooking up. After, of course, I have first either furled the sail completely or rounded up into the wind. Or I anchor with sail furled and pull in both amas before I start casting. Not folding in the amas will lose you fish. Don't ask me how I know. But practicing it when not under pressure conditions is probably a good idea.

Enjoy and share your adventures with us.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Bill, some very good info there. Any chance of a photo of your set up. I was interested in the issue of shallow rod holders.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll try to get some pics uploaded sometime today.

later,
Bill

Post subject: hawkeye
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Enjoyed your post...I'm a new AI guy...probably won't be getting into fishing til springtime as I'm in the northeast, but I have a golden retriever that I'd love to take out...where do you put a 110 lb German Shepherd??