Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Rake & the FX1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am hoping someone can give me a heads up on the appropriate mast rake for the FX1, with a crew weight of 87kgs? I understand that the rake is increased with wind strength but would appreciate some help with this.
thanks,
Marcus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You weigh about the same as I. One important question is whether you have the chute or not. You need to take into consideration the conditions you sail in as well. Mast rake will affect your pointing ability as well as the weather helm you have. As a general guideline, I would say rake it back depending on the amount of weather helm you have. The further back you rake it, the more weather helm you will have. Take your boat out for a day and play with it. If you have lee helm, a bad thing in my opinion, rake it back one hole at a a time until you have a neutral helm. I believe in having a slight amount of weather helm in case the skipper falls off.

As mentioned, also affecting the amount of rake you want is whether you have a chute and the conditions you sail in. I have a different answer if you have a chute. Where are you located?

Kip
Boise
FX-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your feedback. I am learning to racxe with simply the mainsail before adding the extra dimension of the chute. I sail predominatly on the ocean in 15-20 knots. I will take on board your suggestion and go out for a day of experimentation. I am located in Queensland Australia and have the only FX1 in the state, with not many more downunder- yet, which leaves me turing to these forums for info.
thanks again and happy sailing.