Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo Sail
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ever since I purchased my Bravo (used) I've had a tough time getting the sail trimmed properly. When I get both windward telltales flowing correctly, the lower leeward telltale is fluttering. When I get the lower windward and leeward telltales flowing correctly, the Upper windward telltale is fluttering.

The top of the sail seems flat, doesn't have a curve that the lower 2/3's has. I have a Boom and tried all kinds of adjustments with no success.

Today I set the boat up on my lawn so I could take a good look at different angles. What It appears to be is the sail panels are stretched out, relative to the seams, that run vertical. So the panels will form a curve/bellie between the seams, if that makes sense to anyone.

I guess this sail is blown out, and wonder if anyone else had to deal with this and what they did? Yea I could get a new sail but that's at least $700 which is just about what I paid for the boat.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not to rain on a parade... The Bravo is not a race boat, and the sail is just not that great of a foil. I had the same kinds of problems on lots of small boats. Once I quit caring about the "perfect" sail shape, it was more fun.

Instead of sailing by the tells, use your butt. If it feels faster, screw what the indicators say.

It's about the fun. And it's giggles for me any time I'm on the water. Replace the sail when it blows out or is beyond repair.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not talking about the Bravo being a race boat or obtaining a perfect foil. I was trying to figure out why my I can't get my sail to take on a decent shape. I have compared it to a couple other Bravo's in the area, and there's something wrong.

Just posting the question to see if anyone else has run into this and if there is another option besides ordering a new sail from Hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well then, are you sure you've got enough downhaul?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Adjusting the downhaul was one of the first things I've tried. I compared it to another Bravo by pulling out the sail and laying the boat on its side. Letting the sail fall into a basic shape. The other Bravo had a nice smooth curve in the sail from top to bottom. My sail had bellies in the panels between the seams and all stretched out. Usable, but probably not efficient.

Looking at replacement sails, I see there are 2:

90990000 Summer (Full Color)
90990010 Spirit

Don't know if the difference is just in the coloring of the sail or in the material (weight) or what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had to ask.... Failure to apply proper downhaul is the most commonly made mistake I see - especially with windsurfing sails.

If the sail is truly "blown" out, there's not really anything that can be done. You can't recut old sails to get the shape back. One, it's expensive. Two, the material just doesn't hold a shape. The loft here cuts down a lot of head sails due to storm or UV damage. But the shape is never as good.

I doubt that the Summer and Spirit patterns use different weight cloth. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like a 3.5-4.0 oz material.