Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a 1992 Hobie 17 Sport that needs some work to get back in shape. I have disassembled the boat down to a point where all that is left are the hulls and the front and rear crossbars. My questions are: Is it worth removing the crossbars from the hulls to completely disassemble the boat (for polishing the crossbars and hulls)? If so, will something like a nut fall into the hulls, lost forever, when the bolts are removed that hold the crossbars to the hulls? Is it difficult to re-align the holes to put the bolts back in?

I guess my real question is, what do the bolts that you access through the top of the crossbars, screw into?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After re-reading the assembly manual, I went back into the garage and saw how the crossbar bolts are attached. It looks easy enough to take apart and put back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 is one of the easier Hobies to disassemble. There are only four crossbar bolts. A T-Handle allen wrench works well for removing the bolts. Once you've got the hulls apart, it would also be a good idea to check the aluminum receiver cups which are mounted to the hull and which support the outboard end of the crossbar. Just make sure the screws are still tight and that the cups aren't sloppy.

Also note the round anchor bar that fits under the inside hull lip and which the anchor bolt fastens to. Make sure you store the bar with the bolt until you're ready to put the boat back together.

The assembly/disassembly is most easily done with two people, but it can also be done alone if you don't have a helper.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info! I was able to get them apart by myself yesterday. For reference, here is a photo of the aluminum receiver cups after the crossbar is removed.