Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Upgrade Kits
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anybody out there help me? I'm very isolated here in England as far as AI owners are concerned and my Hobie dealer has not been able to help.
Rudder upgrade kits have been mentioned before on the Hobie Forum - this is where I got to hear about them, but can someone clarify what they consist of and which problem they are trying to solve?

As far as I can tell, there are two main problems with the Twist'N'Stow Rudder system installed on the 2007 Adventure Islands. The first is the rudder being knocked up out of the water during higher speed and windy conditions. It seems that the Rudder Hold Down Screw is fitted to cure this problem although I have never had a problem with this.
The second fault (which is my big problem) is that the rudder is extremely difficult to raise and lower using the up/down control lever. I don't even try anymore - I get off the boat and do it by hand. I believe that some kind of upgrade kit was offered by Hobie (free of charge) which consists of T handles and cleats which replace the existing up/down control lever. Is this the kit I need?

I bought my boat in November 2007 and it has the serial number CCM D 4493 D 7 07 (at least I think thats what it says).

So my questions are:
Is any upgrade kit available for my boat to make raising and lowering the rudder easier?
Does it actually work?
Is it free - if not, how much?
Is there a part number for it So that I can be sure that I am ordering the right bits?
Where can I get it (bearing in mind that my Hobie dealer - 80 miles away - has been unable to help me. After 8 months of asking, he simply sent me a new rudder identical to the one on my boat).

I love my boat but this simple problem is bugging me.
Love the forum - really useful seeing everyones different ideas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Andy welcome :D
yes there is a free upgrade for the adventure Island, and it does make raising and lowering the rudder a breeze. I did have to go through my dealer even tho he's in Texas 1500 miles from me now, the kit is very compact and easy to post (mail). the install is pretty easy to,a second pair of hands would have been nice when attaching rudder line to control lines but I managed on my own, I don't have the part #, will try and find and send if other more organised people on the site can't help.
where in the UK are you? I'm originaly a Brummy.

John F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Andy, dont get discouraged. Hobie is great, sounds like your dealer may be dropping the ball. Tell them that the part # is 81391002....
you'll love it when it's installed!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comments above..............by a strange coincidence, I've just had an email from Hobie Europe telling me that my upgrade kit is in the post!!

John F - I'm down in Taunton in Somerset.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Happy to hear that your upgrade kit is on it's way to you. My wife is from Bristol and we do get home occasionaly, the west country is cool, clatworthy resevior near Wiveliscombe was one of my favourite trout lakes. That coast is pretty rugged where do you put in and sail ?

John F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John,
I sail where ever I can - as long as it's salt water. If I can't surf, I take my boat out and I go to which ever coast has the most suitable weather conditions. Mainly it's Seaton, Lyme Regis or Exmouth areas on the south coast. North coast is the Taw estuary and seaward or down to Cornwall and the Tamar estuary and seaward area. I've never sailed before and this is my first boat so as I gain more experience I'm going further afield.
I've surfed for over thirty years and still love it, but the overcrowded waves made me buy my Hobie................I've not regretted it for one moment.

Andy