Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on where to launch a hobie on long beach island. The bay is amazing and it's great once we can get out but launching can be quite a problem. I don't have a mast stepper yet so launching on the municipal ramps is very difficult and what few bay beaches there are prohibited launching because they are also used by swimmers. Thanks is advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a Hobie fleet at Spray Beach Yacht Club on LBI. They have a very nice facility with mast up storage and nice beach to access the bay. Of course you do have to join the club.

There is another Hobie fleet in Waretown, NJ on the mainland side of the bay across from Barnegat Light. I haven't been there in years but they used to sail out of a place called Smitty's.

Go to http://www.catsailing.com/division11/ for contact info on these two fleets.

Other than Spray Beach YC the only other launch facilities I know of on LBI are the munipal ramps or another yacht club. There are a few marinas and you might be able to negotiate an arrangement there.

I know of a few other places to access Barnegat Bay but they aren't on LBI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

shipbottom charges $10 per day $70 per year ive paid $30 already?????
before 7 am and after 7 pm its free
im aiming for fri 8/20 after 7 or sat morning
i step with EZ step my 18sx in parking lot
launch on jetski ramp
use to race in waretown in 82 with h-16 i be around for a week

Post subject: LBI
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice sail for $10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is only a possibility, but there is a park/windsurfing beach at 68th street in Brant Beach. I've never seen anyone launch a hobie from there, but I've seen people launch small sail boats (sunfish, Holder 12) there in the summer as well as the occasional kayak and there is an old junked Hobie 16 deserted on the beach. Of course there are windsurfers and the occasional kiters too. I don't know if hobies are allowed, but the beach would work. However you would have to roll the boat onto the beach with wheels and then step the mast because there is a power line between the parking lot and the beach. It would probably be fine in the off season, during the summer I would call the town first to find out.

Another option would be to call Island Surf and Sail, the local windsurf/kitesurf shop (and past hobie dealer I believe). They might have some ideas too.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In Bayville, across from Trixie's Landing/Brennan Concourse there is a sand ramp and reasonable beach area. Brennan Concourse has a nice park just up the road. As Rich pointed out, Division 11 http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/ has a few fleets that utilize the Barnegat. There are Division points regattas scheduled at Spray Beach YC on June 14-15, Shore Acres YC on June 28-29 and at TrixiesMarina/Berkeley Island Park on July 19-20. Check out the Div ragatta schedule. http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=7350 Come and meet other Hobie sailors, checkout the venue and learn more about Hobie sailing in a weekend then you'll learn all year. They're a great group of people. :D

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

danneskjold wrote:
In Bayville, across from Trixie's Landing/Brennan Concourse there is a sand ramp and reasonable beach area. Brennan Concourse has a nice park just up the road. As Rich pointed out, Division 11 http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/ has a few fleets that utilize the Barnegat. There are Division points regattas scheduled at Spray Beach YC on June 14-15, Shore Acres YC on June 28-29 and at TrixiesMarina/Berkeley Island Park on July 19-20. Check out the Div ragatta schedule. http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=7350 Come and meet other Hobie sailors, checkout the venue and learn more about Hobie sailing in a weekend then you'll learn all year. They're a great group of people. :D