Has your mast filled with water??
Poll ended at Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:27 pm
Yes 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Water in Mast
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At the end of the last sailing season, we dissasembled our boat which we leave at our cottage during the summer. The mast was half full of water. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Post subject: Water in mast
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

It has a leak and you have capsized?

The lower section "top" plug is leaking and rain pools on top... then sucks through into the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you think that there is any way I can prevent this???

Post subject: Prevention
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Prevention?

There are a couple possible choices here...

1- Pull the two sections of mast apart and reseal the plug under the CompTip (upper section).

2- Seal the upper mast into the lower.

Either will prevent water from entering the lower mast through the joint.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also found water in the upper section of the mast 2 weeks ago. I had pitched poled and completely turtled earlier in the day. I was taking the boat apart and could hear the water in the mast. I didn't have time to investigate it, however the following weekend when I was rigging the boat up again there no longer was any water, it must have evaporated??
I'll check the plug under the Comptip, that to me is the only feasible way water got in.

Post subject: Plug
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Check the seal at the top, but it is also possible for older CompTips to "suck in" water through the mold part line or small gaps that would not normally / easily leak. We have seen cases where an upright mast gets water inside. Humid conditions with fluctuating temperatures can cause the mast to pump moisture into the mast. Humid air is drawn in (as the tip cools, the air pressure drops inside) and then condensates inside the mast. We currently (and have for many years) paint epoxy over the "seam" along the front and back (under the luff track) to prevent the moisture from entering through the cloth fiber.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Water In Mast
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just winterized my Wave this weekend, and I also found a lot of water in the aluminum section of the mast. I've never capsized it, so it must have come in through the joint between the sections when it rained, and then seeped around the plug in the top. There does seem to be about an inch of the edge that got missed by the black goop on the top of the plug. I turned the mast upside down in my garage to let it leak back out, but it barely drips, so it may take a while (but I guess I've got all winter).

For the future, should I drill a tiny hole near the base of the mast to let it out? Or better to just re-seal the plug after it finally dries? Would it help to smear Vasoline or something on the comptip just below the joint, so that as it's inserted, it fills the gap and keeps water out?

The comptip section doesn't seem to have water in it, but I wonder if the bob acts as a collector for the rain, then it cascades down the outside of the mast to the joint.

Since I'm keeping the mast in my garage, but the boat is spending the winter outdoors, I laid my kayak upside down on the cross bars to create a tent with the tarp. The yak should have no problems supporting the weight of the snow that accumulates on its hull (we don't get much very often).

Matt, I want to take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate your support through these forums. I know some people give you a hard time for problems, but you really go beyond the call of duty to help (even the argumentative ones). You and all the Hobie dealers make this a great organization and really ensure that we enjoy your products.

Bill

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any suggestions on what to re-seal the mast plug with? Or how to get it applied accurately at the depth just below the comptip (so it doesn't interfere with the comptip sliding in & out)?

I saw another post which recommended drilling a small hole in the luff track, below the downhaul cleat, to let the water out. Is that something Hobie can endorse?

Follow-up edit: I drilled two tiny holes inside the luff track, about 2 and 3 inches up from the base of the mast. (I wasn't sure how far the bottom casting went up into the mast.) Water trickled out for a long time, but I think the problem is now cured. The drill bit was the smallest in my set, maybe 1/32", so I doubt the integrity of the extrusion was compromised.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject: water in mast
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2005 wave, always kept indoors until this summer. While getting ready to garage it for the winter I noticed water in the mast. How do I get it out and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 am 
Site Admin

You can seperate the two sections and if the water is in the aluminum... you can poke a hole through the top seal to drain. To repair, coat the plug with a thick layer of 3M 5200 and let set for a while before sailing again.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Water in mast
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How in the world do I get the two sections apart to get the water out? It is in the aluminum part. I see there is a place they join together about midway and then a place where the top attaches. Which would you take apart and how would you do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

They are not glued together like the larger Hobies. The mast sections are designed to be seperable. It is possible that the two sections are stuck if they are not seperated on a regular basis. Or a prior owner glued them together. If you cannot get them seperated, I would drill a small (~3/16") hole a few inches up from the bottom, say 4" from bottom. Once the water is drained, put a screw or rivet back in the hole.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why plug the hole? If you drill a small hole (maybe 1/32"), you can leave it open, so it will drain and dry as more seeps in. The mast base should never see water, unless turtled; and even then, only a few drops could trickle in before righting.

Mine had a LOT of water in it before I drilled and drained it. I left the holes open and have never had a problem since. When I've capsized, the bob has kept it from turtling, so the mast base stayed dry.

If you have trouble separating the mast sections, what I do is drop the mast, but leave it pinned to the ball. Then grab the comp-tip section and shake it up and down while pulling away from the base. It's a lot easier than playing tug-of-war with another person. Also when setting up the boat, I set and pin the base before inserting the comp-tip, so that the front end is solid and stable to push against.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just winterized my boat yesterday, and this time I had water in the comp-tip. Not a lot, but enough to hear it running from end-to-end as I pick it up. (The metal section was completely dry, with my drain holes.)

It has been 5 or 6 months since I capsized, and I've had the mast apart since then and didn't notice water in it. It has been a fairly dry fall, but the temperature has already been below freezing a few times.

Is it likely to just be condensation? Should I drill a drain hole or simply let it dry out over the winter? I'm keeping the mast in my garage.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's best to get the water out of the comptip. Matt will have to let you know where to drill the small hole. My best guess is near the top anywhere lower than the upper seal (less load here). After you drain/dry the mast, use a self taping screw and silicone to seal it and you have a permanent drain hole. :wink:

One other place I find water sitting is in the joint between the comtip and the lower mast seal. The easy solution is to drill a weep hole just above the lower seal. This is important if you keep your mast up in areas that freeze. The captured ice can split the mast.