Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new aussie AI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

finally was able to get my 08 AI (red) and have spent a couple of hours playing with it on the lawn, practising the rigging which all pretty intuitive and simple. i live in the tropics and am lucky enough to have the great barrier reef and whitsunday island group just off shore.

looking forward to getting out there today...but will probably just use the bare adventure since the wind has decided not to play today...tomorrow looks good though

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Astro, congrats on the new AI, have great times and keep posting, I ventured out in light winds yesterday cruising the mangroves and trying out a couple of different barber hauler setups, really enjoyable couple of hours wasted wisely.

John F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gday Astro,

I am over in Western Australia and are about to get myself an adventure island. Just asking one thing did your island come with the twist and stow rudder up down controls on both left and right or do you have the single lever control.

Thanks

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

makenmend wrote:
Astro, congrats on the new AI, have great times and keep posting, I ventured out in light winds yesterday cruising the mangroves and trying out a couple of different barber hauler setups, really enjoyable couple of hours wasted wisely.

John F

will have to set up a barber hauler as well, used a bungy cord yesterday and that worked well until i didn't hook it well and it flicked into the water and was gone...

gee they kick butt in strong winds too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Neo wrote:
Gday Astro,

I am over in Western Australia and are about to get myself an adventure island. Just asking one thing did your island come with the twist and stow rudder up down controls on both left and right or do you have the single lever control.

Thanks

Jason

mine came with the new controls and they work very well i have the single lever on my outback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jason,

I have recently purchased one in Western Australia and they have the new controls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gee....what a fun machine....trolling hi speed skirts for big game fish is now an option...hehehehe

hooked a small black tip reef shark on the troll, on a tremor lure, they have a nice action....but the bubble trail left by the trolling skirts was impressive in 15 knot winds, and will be a favourite this summer

had it out in 15knot winds and messy 1 metre bay chop...and gee it was fun...water everywhere at times, i got soaked...and was still able to effectively troll a lure...

i now can cover my 3 fav past times with one machine...well done hobie....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Watch that rod on a jibe or tack....make sure it's strapped in, the main sheet will rip it out in no time....lol

I know it seems like common sense, but it can be easy to get side tracked. I've lost two rods with the leash attached (to the rod); once on a jibe and once when taking up the slack in the main.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Matt

Re: Rod loss. One of the reasons I have posted elsewhere about canting the rod holders at 45 instead of directly aft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rods are always leashed...but i like the idea of 45 degrees though