Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Red an article that a Windpaddle actually performs better than a umbrella, and is easily folded down.

As a lure fisherman I don`t want a mast in front of me, and am wondering if, given the lateral resistance a Hobie can create, it is possible to tack upwind with a Windpaddle.

Planning on buying a 09 Revolution, not sure if I want the hobie sailkit, but need some feedback before missing out on a package deal.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Peddlefisher
Here's a photo of my friend and I sailing pretty close to upwind using my Windpaddle and the Hobie standard sail.

These Windpaddles are very easy sails to use and can be folded down to the size of a large pizza and stowed on deck plus no mast is required.
They work quite well and add some good drive to the boat when you want it.

Yes its very possible to sail fairly close but they work best on a broad reach and downwind.
There's a knack to folding and stowing the sail that takes some practice but once you get it down its fairly simple.

The control line is a single sheeet that is attached to the upper portion of the sail at about 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock.
You simply pull the sheet to one side or the other to trim the sail.

If you wanted to cut the line in half and add cam cleats to the hull you could use the sail hands free to troll downwind for example and eat a sammich. Oh Yeah its a lot of fun to just use this sail for the heck of it too . :lol:

I would recommend getting get both the Hobie Sail and the Windpaddle Sail if at all possible.
They can be used separately or in conjunction depending on wind conditions and your specfic sailing needs.

The windpaddle can be easily used in much higher speed winds than can the Hobie standard sail.
In fact the windpaddle works best in stronger winds over 10knots.

This model of Windpaddle we have now is called the Adventure model.
They just came out with an even larger one for tandem kayaks and canoes which is not an option available with the Hobie standard sail.

The Hobie tandem kayaks only have the same size sail available as used with the lighter Hobie single models.
The much heavier payload Hobie tandem models with two people aboard and gear just dont really sail very well with only a standard sized Hobie sail. :cry:

So you have more options in a broader range of wind conditions with both sails than you do with just one.
When using both sails together under the right conditions you can really get er moving. 8)

Take it easy
Kepnutz

Sailing close

Running Downwind.

Heres my Windpaddle stowed on the bow of my Oasis

Heres another angle showing the two clips on the sail that attach it to your kayak.

I used stainless screws and rubber backed sealing washers

Then drilled and tapped the hull and mounted these fairlead loops to the bow so that the Windpaddle sail can be clipped to the hull.

My friend Jeff calls it the eyeball sail cuz it looks like a giant eye ball out in the front of the kayak .

Flying the eyeball

Post subject: Windpaddle or Hobie sail
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for your elaborate explanation Kepnutz!

If funds allow I`ll buy both or share the Hobie sail with my fishing mate, who I`m trying to talk into a Revo as well.

In your case of "limited" sqft of sail area, have you considered the Pacific Action type for use up front? 24sqft!

Gonna keep the rubber-washer seal in mind too!

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Peddlefisher
Glad To help out if I can.
As for the PA sail I have thought of it and the problem is my front hull area could be pushed in because it is not designed to withstand forces of such a mast load down onto a non structural bow area.
I also always kayak with someone else on board and this would negate being able to use the PA sail as it would interfere to much with the front passenger.
The new larger Windpaddle for tandems is much more appealing as all I have to do is clip it to the bow and its rigged.
The Windpaddle sail does not interfere with the front passenger because the front passenger is the one who controls it while I control the main sail and rudder so for my needs this works out better.
Using the new, larger Windpaddle Cruiser model would bring the total up to 37sq feet which should be enough sail to do the job. :wink:

Here's the Windpaddle link if you need more info
http://www.windpaddle.com/cruiser.htm

Have Fun
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya'll
Here's a couple more shots I had of our Windpaddle sail while sailing upwind.
There was not enough wind at times so we were having some trouble keeping it out of the water when the wind would taper off.
Other than that it seemed to sail closer and better than I expected.
Cheers :wink:
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Paddlefisher:

Since you're loking at a Revo, may I suggest getting the standard sail kit AND a Gustbuster golf umbrella. They are rated at windspeeds you'll hopefully never see out on the water.

Unlike the Wingpaddle usages shown above (which require TWO people), you can sail your Revo and use the umbrella at the same time for added sail area. In fact, the Gustbuster has a surface area equivalent to the standard sail, so you effectively DOUBLE the sail area. This combo works well for downwind sailing.

Used alone, the umbrella is not suitable for upwind sailing.

On a sunny day I often mount my umbrella behind the seat, and pedal in the shade! When it rains, I stay dry too. When not on the boat, I keep the umbrella in the truck just in case it rains. I don't know why people like to put them down -- they work, and they look no worse than a sunburn.

Post subject: windpaddle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

conservation101,

sorry for the late reaction, I yak to fish :) , my favorite mark involves throwing lures while drifting and peddling uptide again against tide and wind(direction 14.00)

I was wandering if the windpaddle could perform usable upwind as I would like to avoid having a mast in front of me while fishing.

Furling and storing the Hobie sailkit is to much hassle for my use

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

......(which require TWO people).............

HeyYA'll
Dont know where in the hell they got this information but its false, :? :? :?
The windpaddle does NOT require two people. FYI
Kepnutz