Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just sold my trailer sailer and have orderd my AI. Should be in this week .. can't wait!

BTW, the decision on buying the AI was easy. Transport and loading issues have been my concern. No longer have a vehicle that can tow a boat. Nissan does not support trailiering with the Versa.

Have some concerns about transport. I have Thule racks that are 24.5 inches apart. This is the widest that's allowed on my Nissan Versa. My Thule saddles are on order.

Can the AI be safley transported on saddles that are 24.5 inches apart, without hull distortion? Otherwise, I may need to add the Thule Slip Stream that allows the saddles to be further apart.

For those using the Thule hullavator, does anyone have them 24 inches apart? Any hull distortion? Would you recommend the hullavator?

All opinions are appreciated.

Matt Miller - can the AI be transported on racks that are 24.5 inches apart without distortion?

Post subject: New AI came in.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's my sail on the lake yesterday. Winds 10-15 mph. Nice ride! My son took the video, riding in the well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_b1_gUc37o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Richy,

You will definitely have distortion if you load the AI upright. It is recommended that the AI be transported top down on supports. The AI will probably be very difficult to load upside down on the roof of your car.

Most distortion caused by a short distance transport, will return to normal by mild heating or simply placing in the sun for a few hours.

Severe distortion may not be so easy to recover from.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Chekika wrote:
The AI will probably be very difficult to load upside down on the roof of your car.

Not difficult to load upside-down when disassembled. You have to remove the amas and aka bars. Then it is a simple kayak (main hull) and other parts to load separately.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The way I am able to mount kayak upright and without distortion is pretty simple. Just place runners on your rack. Visualize something of a trailer bed on the rack instead of on wheels and you get the idea. PVC has worked pretty well for me by drilling the pipes in the middle to keep the load bearing tops smooth and to keep the load spread out evenly.

I also made a loading ramp out of PVC attached/hinged on the rack by running the rack bar thru two pipe Tee fittings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Richy,

I've got a SlipStream coming next week. I have Thule racks on a Honda Accord spaced about the same as yours, maybe an inch wider. My AI is new, got it in late August, so I don't think I'd see any problems with distortion yet but I did worry about it when we had to evacuate for a hurricane and I had the boat on the rack for several days.

I'm getting the SlipStream because it just seemed like a good idea to spread that weight out over a wider area but mostly because I want to see if it's going to help me get that kayak up on the rack easier. The whole idea of the AI was to be able load, unload, rig and get going in a hurry and I'm still experimenting with all of that.

I'll let you know how it works. I'm hoping I'll still be able to just slip into my garage with the kayak loaded on top. It's gonna be real close if it does still make it.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got the SlipStream a few days ago, and it has made loading much easier. I can now load by sliding the hull on the rollers from the rear of the car, and guiding the hull along the saddles. Wish I had this last week, since I've strained my back using various other methods of loading. And, instead of a 24 inch spread, the yak now sits on saddles that are 48 inches apart.

I'm not seeing any distortion by loading right side up, but I'm now a bit concerned after hearing that it should be transported upside down. Will pay special attention and watch for distortion.

Will be adding some handles alongside the well so my wife will have something to hold onto when she comes for a ride. Also considering adding handles or lines along the foredeck to make loading easier - - just hope it doesn't look bad.

I also received the Wheeleez cart with balloon wheels from eBay. Should make transport along sand much easier than dragging.

Just wanted to add that this is the easiest, and possibly the most fun boat that I've ever sailed. Hobie did an incredible job of engineering the AI. Hobie knows sailing!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hey richie what was the wind speed during the video you posted? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ElementAI wrote:
hey richie what was the wind speed during the video you posted? thanks

Wind speed was about 12 kts. Water's flat so she really moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Billocala,

Please post pictures of your PVC rack and loading ramp. Thanks.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My AI's sit assembled on the trailer all the time. I try to pull them up so that the molded racks are underneath the crossbeams, where the hull is strong. I haven't noticed any distortion.

They stay under a house, mostly shaded from the sun all day.