Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie Here
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everybody. I'm new to this Hobie Cat thing and figured this is a great place to start finding out more about this new and exciting hobby. Yesterday, I purchased a '76 model. Great shape, very minor, small chips on the hulls. It came with Jib sail so I assume it's the turbo. It's orange w/ tri-color sail. Main sail had one small hole and one hole about the size of a baseball, maybe smaller. I figure a sail patch kit would cover them up nicely. I was told all the rigging is there but I'm not sure. I downloaded the manual so when I get some free time I'll check. Oh, I forgot, I only paid $375 for it w/ trailer. I need to re-wire it but that's easy. I don't think it's been sailed much since '94. That was the last time it had been registered. I bought it because I always told myself if I found a sail boat for under $400 I'd take it. Never thought I'd ever get a deal like this. I grew up on the coast of Cali. and saw these boats all the time. Now I have one, WOOHOO!!! :D Happy sailing folks......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the purchase. No problem getting it all figured out, I'm sure you can handle it as it's pretty straightforward. If it's been sitting for a while though I'd at least replace the standing rigging! And start out on a day with light wind. (5-10 mph) And try to find some other sailors to give you some tips before you head out. And also I'd recommend Sailing for Dummies so you're familiar with the basics before you try doing stuff in practice. But it's a LOT of fun once you've got a bit of confidence!

Welcome!

Jim

Post subject: anouther newbie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey ya'll i am now the proud daddy of a 80ish hobie turbo.... i've said some monohulls a fewtimes but never a cat.. i live in the chesapeake Va.
not ready to race, YET but would like to sail with other cat owners talk to everyone soon

jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, I've been reading alot lately about how to sail. I've done it a few times but it wasn't at this scale. I'm trying to picture all the rigging going together which, by the way, is rust free and not fraying or anything. Looks to be alright to me. Right now it all just seems wierd but is starting to make sense. Hell, it's all I thought about all week. I'll have a pic of it up here sooner or later.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best book you guys can get for Cat-specific sailing is Catamaran Racing: For the '90s by Rick White. The emphasis is on racing, but there are a LOT of basics and boat setup info in there. GREAT book.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very detailed easy to understand from buying to sailing to trailering and triming and racing is Catamaran Sailing from start to finish. Phil Berman I find my self ref back all the time.

Todd

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi There!
I have been sailing a Turbo 14 since 1990 (it is a 1989 model). When I bought it new they said Hobie was the most fun in sailing. I did not know how to sail so it became quite an experience. Kansas has very large Corps of Engineer lakes with few power boats.

The Turbo 14 has been quite a friend. Now I have a larger liv a board sailboat with a diesel engine etc., but I still own and love the Turbo most of all.

It has new sails and trampoline, and is light enough so that I can assemble and launch it by myself. No crew around on a hot day, no problem, it's a Hobie Day!

Best Regards,
Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm lovin' it. I'm getting a job in a few weeks up at Lake Almanor so it looks like this'll be the lake I learn on. I heard that eagle lake was a really good sailing lake as well. I'm going for 'em all. Sail the days away........ :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8) I recognize the symptons - all of us do. Sweaty palms that don't feel right unless they are gripping rope. Constantly scanning flags and the tops of trees to see if the wind is blowing, and how hard. Your heart races if there are just enough clouds to indicate an oncoming storm, but right now it is sunny and beautiful. The need to buy another gadget or go-fast thingie. You find excuses to leave work early or skip obligations like Aunt Tildies funeral or birthday. Iif it gets too bad, call for a sponsor at HCA (Hobie Catters Anonymous). Welcome to the club :wink:

"Hi, my name is Stephen and I SAIL..." :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Stephen,

I have all of the same symptoms, I have figured it out Its the Last stages of Summertime Blues. The first stages really hit you around Labor day
But as most seafares we are in denial until November there is no cure known to man for this, many have tried except to get fixes at every chance we get. Xmas vactions to a tropical paradise that works until the end of Jan. Feb and Mar hit and we wait for a warm spell of 60 water temp is 39 you will find us at the beach wishing we were closer to the equator for the closer you get the less clothes we wear. and more of our kind is around, For sailors are a salitude breed of mankind until they have somthing to share.

Have I ever told you how much I love Summertime

Hi my name is Todd and I sail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AAaah. Well it almost makes me feel guilty to tell you that yesterday was 80F and a really steady 17mph of wind. I went out on the lake yesterday and cruised along with the windward hull just skimming the water... VERY nice. I only went in because it was getting dark.

Going back today, as weather is forcast to be the same. Now if only the water temp will come up out of the 50s so I'm not afraid of flipping. :)

Good luck getting warm, guys. 8)

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi my name is Chris and I own a Hobie 16 and I LOVE TO SAIL.

The HCA is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just re-wired the trailer lights. lookin' good. Gettin' her registered tomorrow. It was nice weather here a few weeks back, I decided to go kayaking instead. Don't have a wetsuit and knew I would be going swimming. Now it's a bit on the chilly side but I think it's going to start warming up here real quick. The wind has been blowing like crazy around here. I noticed that my mast step needs to be re-riveted. Anyone know what size those rivets are off hand? I can drill 'em out and replace them.

I'm Jeremy, I'm going to be sailing soon. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i live in VA and i don't have a title to teh boat or trailer teh good thing is my 14 is small enough not to be registered but the trailer does.. now heres the proble i can't seem to find a Vin number anywhere on the trailer... does anyone know where i should be looking i have a few other newer trailers for my work so apperantly its just either not there or in some other location...

thanks
jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look on the trailer tongue, in the area of where it makes a Y.

Jim