Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I spoke with Matt McDonald at Vectorworks about having a Carbon F18 specific blade made for the Tiger. This blade would be about 15 cm longer, meet the min. weight for F18, and Also include a integrated line built into the board to allow the crew to pull the blade up from the starboard side when rounding the mark.

Matt said the cost of a F16 Carbon blade retails around 405 a piece and the F18 should be close to that. You can email me if you have any interest @ [email protected]

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thats alot better than the $1021. before tax and import from marstrom.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan:

I feel a tinge of jealousy. Sounds like a nice set to put on the Tiger. I cannot spend more on my boat at the moment as I am trying to start a business.

Great seeing you and Kelly in Florida!

Later,
Dan DeLave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just bought a set of back up boards . but maybe the wife will let me buy some new ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rich:

Maybe you should that the newer (used) boards and add 15 cm to the top. By adding it to you top you will not effect the performance of the board because the added part will be in the daggerboard well.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you add to the top of the board, when its all the way down it will not have proper support inside the well. There is a fiberglass "I" beam inside the boards that does not go all the way to the top of the board. In the Tiger this "I" beam goes above the center plate inside the hull giving the board strength. If the board is lowered the "I" beam will have no support allowing the board to break above the "I" beam. This breakage may or may not blow up the hull. I learned of this "I" beam the hard way, broke 2 boards right above it. The second board blew up my hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have often wondered why the tiger carbon boards were discontinued. Also wht the f-18 board option isn't offered. 15 cm more bite and a pull up strap, if the top sailors on the platform are doing this then why not offer it from HCE. Will the new boat have the same profile boards will they be longer? all carbon? jibbing boards? interchangable with the tiger? guess we will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
This blade would be about 15 cm longer, meet the min. weight

Actually the weight restriction on the boards is a Max weight. Because the boards are part of the all up weight of the boat you could actually have a couple of keels and make the hulls really light if there were no limit on the Max weight. Imagine getting all the gravity of the boat on or under the water?

I did not know that there would be a problem with the Tiger boards if there was extra added to the top. Where does the I-Beam end? I would love a set of the Vector Works to try them and see if there is a difference but spending about a grand on a boat that old seems a waste of money. What is the going rate on a used thing Tiger these days? Great boats for new people as the price of used ones are going the way of the stock market. One the other hand I did just put a new sail on it...

Later,
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This topic has generated a lot of talk for 12 months but not a lot of action -

I have completed a preliminary design brief with a prominent (AC) designer to design and mass manufacture updated boards for the Tiger. Boards will be built by the company that is doing many of the custom AC parts.

The cost is not cheap - this includes design time, building molds, making boards (very high carbon count) and trunk inserts so as to not have to mess with the standard trunks.

If you SERIOUSLY interested in getting new boards to race F18 and not destroy the integrity of the OD Tiger, please contact me at F18teamblur_at_Live.com.

I need to know what you consider a reasonable cost for daggers and then a reasonable cost for rudders. I plan on making no profit but expect that I need to make at least 4 sets of each to get the cost to a point as to break even on the molds. I need to know by mid-june if we have enough interest to be able to move forward - if not I will be ordering Marstom 20 boards on June 15.

Paul Andrepont