Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone don this?
& dose any one have the rigging lengths for this setup?

thanks
Chuck

Post subject: Will it work / fit?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Will it work / fit?

The lower forestay on the 17 Sport is just inches longer than the 18, so the luff length should be fine. The 17 is virtually a Hobie 18 deck, so the dimensions to the jib clew should be similar. You would attach jib sheet blocks as on the 18 or nearly so. On the tramp track area 1/3 way back from the forward cross bar.

Anybody actually do this?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt

I'll let you know how it go's

Chuck

Post subject: I dont know
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not too optimistic. My dad is a sailmaker and he has always told me that it takes VERY LITTLE to ruin a foil. There will either be a fold (bad) in the sail or you'll have cut it (worse). I mean did you know that in most boats the front third of the main is useless. The mast doesn't let the wind attach and create lift. You could end up going faster w/o a jib than with it. The foil (or lack thereof), wont let the wind hit the leeward side of the sail, the whole idea of the jib.

Post subject: hobie 17 jib
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm working with a sailmaker/rigger to get a jib and hardware kit together at the moment. Our feeling is to go for a self tacking jib in order to speed up tacks as well as reduce 'operator involvement' of course to do this we have had to put a pole from the mast step to the new front bridle, so guess what we made it slightly longer and added a spinnaker also!!! I can report that the spinnaker makes a massive difference downwind (as you might expect)... so much for reducing operator involvement!!

when all is sorted, I will make available pictures and dimensions. :twisted:

Post subject: Fitting 18 Jib to 17
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chuck, I got a "Super Jib Kit" from Murrays, and I am told it is an 18 jib. Check it out at Murrays. If you have any questions on how to do it run a search at www.catsailor.com's new forum. I think I explained the whole procedure there. Otherwise let me know if you have questions. I have done this on two H17's. Brian 8)

Post subject: Big Jib
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As long as you can control the slot opening between the Jib and Main, you will see some performance gain. That slot is ultra important. You can easily choke the main. Barberhaulers!

Uni-rigs will almost always point higher. Broad reaches will be where you pick up the majority of your new found performance.

Post subject: Re: hobie 17 jib
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi!
Have you done this? What kind of spinaker did you use on your HC17? Do you have any pictures?
BR Hans

Hobiesaileruk wrote:
I'm working with a sailmaker/rigger to get a jib and hardware kit together at the moment. Our feeling is to go for a self tacking jib in order to speed up tacks as well as reduce 'operator involvement' of course to do this we have had to put a pole from the mast step to the new front bridle, so guess what we made it slightly longer and added a spinnaker also!!! I can report that the spinnaker makes a massive difference downwind (as you might expect)... so much for reducing operator involvement!!

when all is sorted, I will make available pictures and dimensions. :twisted: