Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want an adventure Island and am ready to buy one today. I've done my homework, and I know that the 2009 has some very important upgrades; especially to the Mirage drive well. Therefore, that is the one I want. Knowing what I do, I would be a fool to buy a brand new 2008 model.
My problem is that I cannot get one. Everybody I speak to over here (Europe) tells me that they won't sell me one until they (Holland) have got rid of all their 2008 models.
I wish to spend my money on the model that I want. Doesn't that sound fair?
If anybody knows of a way that I can get a 2009 Adventure Island NOW, please let me know.
I live in Newport, South Wales UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy the 2008. If the MD well fails, Hobie will get you another hull under warranty, and you'll have your 09 and get to sail in the mean time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom. I had been considering that, but I think I would be always wary of peddling too hard, and waiting for it to break.
I don't think that I should feel this way with a new kayak.
I would continue to nurse it along and the thing would probably give up the day after my warranty expired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Get the '08, and go ahead and USE it. I'm not saying abuse it, but certainly use it like you would intend to use an '09. There are many '07 & '08 boats out there that have not failed. As Tom said, if the drive well does fail, then Hobie will take care of you under warranty. If you wait (impatiently) for the '09 to be available in your market, then in the mean time you'll find out about an improvement that Hobie is making for the '10 model year. It's a vicious circle. Speaking as an engineer, I can promise you that there has never been a "perfect" product, nor will there ever be one. There will always be improvements that can be made. And Hobie has demonstrated through their history that the will continue to make improvements. I can see that by comparing my 1982 Hobie 16 to a new model. In the mean time you're losing perfectly good sailing time. Now that is a real tragedy, because time is the one thing we can't re-engineer, improve, or replenish.

Happy sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would also add that the primary power on an AI is the SAIL, not the Mirage Drive. I went about 16 miles today, and I doubt I put in 200 strokes on the drive, and never pedaled hard.

If I want to pedal my boat hard, I do it. I certainly can't make any promises for Hobie, but if you read back in the forums, you'll find that the company frequently covers warranty items AFTER the warranty period has expired.

1. You don't need the MD. Sail.

2. Most don't break. You've heard about the few that do.

3. If it does break, even out of warranty, I suspect Hobie will replace the hull, because that's how they are as a company.

4. You only get so many days on the planet, and you can't get one back once it is over. Do you want to spend yours sailing or wishing?

I have no regrets with my 2008 boat, and had a blast today. Got this short video of some bait fish getting mauled in the creek as I was approaching our ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNX9yVq27bI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Ger,

I bought my boat nearly 2 years ago and only recently had a problem with the drive columns. I actually posted for help on this forum because I didnt even think to contact Hobie direct, there was no way it could be covered under warranty....BUT IT WAS and the new hull is on the way right now! So dont worry you will be looked after IF you have any problems and I doubt you will.

I didnt want to miss a days sailing so as an interim measure I took the advice of yakaholic (Thank you very much for the tip) and splinted the fractured column with 2 halves of plastic pipe using epoxy and jubilee clips (hoseclamps) and its held up very well indeed...solid as a rock....Day before yesterday I went out and had a fantastic sail thru mild seas with a 12 knot breeze, quite a bit of pounding around (see photo) after i checked the column and it was as sound as a bell.

So buy the boat...dont wait...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Philip, Tom, Jim,
Thanks for your help. I believe you have swayed me.
It is nice to hear that Hobie has such a reasonable and flexible attitude to warranties and known issues. It's also good to hear how easily this problem is fixed if/when it occurs.
That image from you Philip1el is the kind of image that sells the AI to me and I can't wait much longer.
I'll let you all know.

Best regards

Ger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I forgot

5. Adventure Islands cause a HUUUGE grin on the face of anyone who tries them! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Only a thing: For those who live in Europe and have bought the kayak here, the warranty is covered by hobie kayak europe, not hobie usa. I don't know if the post sale service here will be so good as hobie usa is. I wrote them once, some moths ago, and they never answered me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why don't you get the 2008 and reinforce it right away. It sounds like a good fix and may be all you need for years use use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob L.
I had thought of doing that. Do you know where the info is for that method of reinforcing is?

Agust,
I hope you are wrong, but I suspect that you are not. I E-mailed Hobie Europe a few weeks ago asking after the 2009 model and didn't receive a reply either.

M Miller, Greg Thomas, Is there anything that Hobie US can do to ship them into shape? They are going to give Hobie a bad name over here.

Best regards all,

Ger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Ger wrote:
M Miller, Greg Thomas, Is there anything that Hobie US can do to ship them into shape?

You are contacting Hobie Kayak Europe?

www.hobie-kayaks.com

or Hobie Cat Europe?

www.hobie-cat.net

In either case, we will pass along the concern to Hobie Management here.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller,

Neither of those addresses I'm afraid.
I wrote to [email protected].

I followed various links and was under the impression that this was the Hobie Europe headquarters. Was I wrong?

Anyway all, Ive decided. I'm placing an order for the 2008 Adventure Island tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Best regards,

Ger

p.s a pointer toward that drive well reinforcing idea would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ger,

This recent discussion has links to several other discussions.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11095

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi ya Ger!,

The address you mention is a dealer, located in the same village (Stellendam) as the EU importer.
(Shouldn`t differ in the responsability to answer though)

There seems to be some reluctance here about revealing the arrival of the 2009 models, but what is consistently mentioned here is a considerable price raise.

The AI models are the only ones which got a price reduction during the season costing €3395 here now.

Join Anglers Afloat!,

PF