It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hey Ya Doin Roadie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

kepnutz wrote:
" So how come our yaks move so slow ?
-Kepnutz-

Not sure entirely except to say that Flying Scott in the background (pic below) carries about 10 times the sail area (191 sq. ft.) as our Hobies. The jib alone is probably twice the size of the Hobie sail.

To make matters worse, your Tandem, at almost twice the sailing weight as a Sport, uses the same sail. Without reinforcement, that's about the maximum size sail our hulls are designed for. So without a gale, you can't expect much in the way of speed. On the bright side, it's just about the right size for a beach towel.

The AI has been reinforced quite a bit to carry its much larger sail. If you want to look at options, check out at Punchinello's posts on the KFS web site. He's the master of sailing innovation! 8) http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5086057385

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Kepnutz and Roadrunner!

If you want to sail your Hobies faster you might try a larger sail area and add outriggers. I use a 32 sq ft sail rig made by EZ V-Sail, including a roller furling jib I made. I also added an outrigger, bow sprit, larger rudder, and a leeboard. This on my Hobie Sport.

My kayak buddy in Montreal uses a 3 meter windsurfing sail (which is also about 32 sq ft) along with an outrigger I made for him on his Hobie Outback. Both of us are pleased with our kayak sail rigs and can certainly, in winds of 10 knots or more, sail at hull speed and sometimes even plane.

The Hobie sail is 20 sq ft and has a mast that bends like a noodle in winds about 10 knots. It will not make your kayak go that fast. It's meant to spill the wind in higher than 10 knot winds. But more sail area than that is not feasible without an outrigger. And sailing without a leeboard or dagger board will not make windward sailing possible. Check out my posts on KFS.com for the month of August 2005, if you want more info and pix. I'm listed under Punchinello . :D

Punch

Post subject: Thanks Punchy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

-kepnutz-

Last edited by kepnutz on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: nice touch moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:P

Last edited by kepnutz on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sorry to hear about yours. I didn't realize that I'd been promoted! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh yeah...
I :shock:

Last edited by kepnutz on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Final upddate
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Update, 4-28-07

Sorry it has taken so long to post this. Here is the final position of the block I ended up settling on:

I then replaced the adjustable rigging with a new padeye, shown here:

Here are a couple of shots showing the sheeting angle and sail form.

Image 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:35 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Roadrunner wrote:
As I develop more feel for the boat and sail, I've been able to become better at shifting my weight. Yesterday I got up to 6.7 and today the GPS gave me 6.8 on a beam reach.

It finally happened -- After several runs in the high 6's, the old GPS finally issued a 7.0 MPH. This was on a beam/broad reach, building winds, gusting with no dagger board. The wind was funneling through a saddle in the hills, so the chop hadn't had much of a chance to build -- perfect conditions! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sweet...im also going to make this mod and see how it does....ive been away from the forums awhile but i see alot has been going on...ive been using the adventure alot lately and find myself sailing more too. i made a new sailing rudder out of starboard and bought the hobie daggerboard. im also working on a home made ama rig made of pvc pipe and pool noodles. what id realyl like to do is create a small jib sail for the adventure too....anyone ever do this? ive seen it on a sport before and it looked great.

Dan

Post subject: bit confused
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's late & I'm tired but I seem to be missing something..
The Post topic is "better rigging for your AI"?
I thought this was about improving the Main position for an AI but the pictures show a small-sail Hobie, is that a revo or a standard Adventure?

Does this mean that my factory setup is fine and I should not attempt to experiment with the main Block on my 2008 Adventure ISLAND?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes Max, this is for the Adventure, not the AI (which is just fine the way it is). This is just a dream -- go back to sleep. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
Yes Max, this is for the Adventure, not the AI (which is just fine the way it is). This is just a dream -- go back to sleep. 8)

Lol, thanks, i feel better now that i don't have to do anything.
(If I stay awake a bit longer it will be time to get up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this is necroing an old post, but i've just recently got a sail kit for my Adventure, and have started playing with it.

How do you counter the lean so efficiently, i find it feels extyremelly tippy in any decent winds!

Have you come up with an effective method of storing the sail on the yak, whilst at sea?

Any info would be great!

Brett

www.yakass.net - www.sailpower.com.au - www.westernangler.com.au

www.yakfishwest.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Carrying the sail is easy enough. Here's one way... http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8921
The front loop is the most important. You don't really need the back bungee if you don't want to convert it; you can just lay the sail on the deck next to you. With practice (and your mainsheet pre-rigged) you can easily set up and take down the sail while underway.

Hiking out comes with practice. When the wind kicks up, one thing that helps is to plant your feet in the "scallops" on the sides of the cockpit -- that helps keep you in position. I tend to plant both feet, but the lee or downwind side is the more important (left side in this picture):

After awhile you can really hang over the side. If the rudder is properly set up you can leave it untended for up to half a minute (since it can be out of reach).

Even though you can only slide your butt across the seat an inch or two, the weight shift really helps as well.

A nice breeze does make for an exciting sail -- If you'd rather relax and not have to pay such close attention, you might try the Sidekick. With it, you can just about cleat the sail off and forget it. 8)