Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,
you all have been so much help for me in the past I was wondering if you could help me with my new problem. I am in the process of repainting my Hobie 16 and as I am sanding I am finding more and more areas that are going to need a little work. There is alot of dings and scratches in the hulls. Most of them, I think are just in the gel coat and not quite into the fiberglass. I however know nothing about fixing Gel coats. Is it really difficult? Whats the best process? Any ideas?
Also I am finding a few of bulges in the hulls. Whats that all about? Is it something I am really going to have to address? any help would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're painting the hulls, I'd say just sand down the gelcoat until the scratches are gone and/or fill the deep ones with a waterproof epoxy.

If by "bulges" you mean little blisters in the gelcoat, these are easily repaired. (As long as there aren't a whole bunch of them.) See these articles for details:
http://www.daveandangel.com/Boats/Boat_Blistering.html
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/1220983tip.htm
http://www.boats.com/content/default_de ... entid=1899

Good luck!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear ya jriske3, I love my boat, but it seems that everyday there is something new to do to it, on one had its great, because I love to work with my hands, but on the other hand, my pocket book is suffering, I recently replaced my mast base, and now found that I have to replace my mast step to accomodate the new base, wich means another $60. I take it as life experience, I wouldnt change it for the world, its frustrating sometimes, but thats what makes it fun for me.

Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You know I had a very good friend of mine tell me, you know what B.O.A.T. stands for. Better Order Another Thousand!! I haven't had to go that far(yet!!) but it seems that everytime I turn around its costing money. But as you said, its worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You know why :?: We name are boats after Ladies to show are appreation, we keep putting money in to them. I will say the 1973 H-16 that I have is Sea worthy and I still have less that $1200 into her and that includes the price of the boat and trailer. we can up it a few hundered with sails I'm saving for. :P