Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't get the ring onto the hook at the top of the mast. I have the halyard line (rope) tied to the ring and the twist shackle below the ring. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Make sure that you are pulling the ring all the way up to the top of the mast and you can rotate the mast to line the hook up with the ring then pull down on the sail before letting the mast rotate back.
Hobie sells a haylard ring with the twist shackel welded to the ring and a small metal loop welded to the top of the ring to tie the haylard to.

Dlennard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also don't forget to twist the ring before you put it on the sail so the natural twist in the line makes the ring want to stay on the hook.

Make sure your knot on the ring is as small as you can get it.

Post subject: Putting Main Sail up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a flap and a hook at the top of the mast. You should here the flap contact the ring. When you here the click you are at the top and need to turn the mast to get the ring on the hook.

Don't forget to make sure you have the sail directly into the wind and lube the sail bead with parafin.

If none of this works you can put the boat on its side and manually hook up the main sail.. It gets you sailing and a chance to see if the flap is working correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you probably have the same problem I had with my h18.
well, after all advice I received from everywhere one pro told me to
lose (brake) the moving part of the hook on the top of the mast.
since than I never had a problem.
The hook was designed with safety in mind but with no practicallity.
no racr has that hook in its original form. btw newer version was modified to the form I have now - no moving safety lock.
Hobiejack

Post subject: Can't Hook the MAin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Al, I did away with the "latch" on top of the hook; got the "Aussie Halyard Ring" from Murrays( the hole for the halyard is offset to one side of the ring, unlike the Hobie which is inline with the welded shackle), and I twist the ring about three times before I attach it to the sail. Then I hoist and when I get it to the top, I pull the rotation control arm to the side with the hook on it(I think) and drop the halyard. I have another problem, I can't hoist and feed the sail, and the halyard comes off the "cheek" and jams at the bottom of the mast. I did have an experience that illustrated why they put the latch on the hook: I launched onto a nice reach, Trying to catch up to friends after unjamming my boards, and forgot to tighten the downhaul. As I reached for the downhaul I caught a gust and went over. I released the sheets, but didn't get to cleat the downhaul. When the boat was righted, the main came off the hook! With the problem mentioned above, I had to get a friend from another boat to help me hoist and feed...Let us know how yoou are progressing. Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for all your answers. You know if you look at something long enough you can figure it out. I think I just had the shackle turned backwards. It seems to be working now.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was having difficulty with my sail droping on the last outing. Today I hoisted the halyard to the top to see if the ring was having difficulty latching. Nothing like a visual... Anyway I did see a lot of problems with the moving part that was mentioned earlier but I did not consider removing it. I thought it must have been there for a reason. The problem I was seeing was the fact that the not on the ring was getting in the way of the latch. Since I also found damage to the line I am going to replace it with a smaller line. I believe the current line is 5/16. I may switch to 1/4 or 3/16. I am also considering a cleat for the halyard as a backup.

Post subject: Halyard information...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie 17, 18, 20 and 21 Halyard locking

It is best to simulate the halyard locking with the mast down so you clearly understand the system. Then, depending on how old the boat is, be sure the hook does not have the old "flopper" stainless piece hanging on the hook. This old device caused difficulty in raising and hooking but would make it easier to release and lower. Also, be sure that the knot tied to the ring is very low profile. A long bowline knot will hit the mast head before the ring gets to the hook. If the ring has a small loop at the top... The line should be passed through the loop and a small knot tied. The knot (when ring and shackle are afixed to the sail) should be facing the mast. This tilts the ring closer to the mast. Then (before attaching halyard shackle to the sail) spin the haylard 3 or 4 times clockwise (looking down on the shackle). This "pre-loads" the halyard line and causes the ring to swing back towards the hook. Keep the boat into the wind and hoist. Should lock easily. To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... rotate the aft of the mast base to starboard, hold the mast rotated, ease the halyard a few feet before releasing the mast. Lower the sail.

There is now a more detailed mainsail hoisting FAQ available...

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=371

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail with an Ozzy Hook... This works great. The ozzy hook is the normal 'O' ring with a place for the halyard at the side of the 'O', thread the main halyard through the welded bar at mid height, tie off with a figure of eight/double over hand knot, then when you hoist the sail have this knot facing the mast on the oposite side to the halyard lock and this orientates the 'O' ring to engage on the halyard lock. Great idea... bit of rotation and it's a joy up and down.

With out the Ozzy Hook the best knot I found was the :twisted: (evil) thumb knot in the end of the halyard and then a half hitch onto the 'O' ring so that the thumb knot was tight against the 'O' ring facing the mast.

Lastly for feeding the mainsail into the track... if you roll the mai sail from the bottom batten (the longest batten), when you want to raise the sail put the sail over the front cross beam rolled like this, with the turns coming off on the top, then when you pull on the halyard the rolls will unwind with the luff in line/slightly forward of the mast, so feeding in with no problems... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ps So far I've had sails come down twice owing to the halyard lock failing. First time, the rivits sheared and I lost the whole fitting... Second time the hook broke off...

Never had the sail release otherwise. If you keep only a small amount of down haul on... I thought that this was next to impossible. Thus I've always removed the retainer catch... I haven't seen a catch on any new mast for a while now...