Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull repair question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just bought a hobie 14. It has been sitting on the beach with a hole in it, uncovered, for the past 9 months. The hull has become soft in places. A boat repairer is suggesting that I fill it with 2 part foam to regain the shape, he says that as the hull already has foam in it, this is a good solution. Having read the articles on delamination I am not so sure. Can anyone please help.
Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do not fill it with foam :!: where is th hole? With some TLC you can bring your boat back to a very solid condition.
Is the soft spot on the deck If so than go here
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/delam.html
If you search through the subjects in this fourm you will most likely find all Imfomation you need. but ask away we can help you through this :D I repaired my delaminated deck on my port hull with the help of the great guys on this fourm. It is now stronger than my stbd hull. Patches are not uncommon on newer and older boats. Let us know the specifics are.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the delay, been on holiday for a week :D . The hole is in the upper part of the hull, and I have fibreglassed it over. There are parts of the top and side of the hull that have gone soft, so I think I shall try the epoxy as suggested in the link you gave me. Was it difficult to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's easy follow the directions of whatever product you decide to use I used git rot very simple. I lined out my delaminated area in pencil and drilled very small breather holes and a larger fillier hole in the center. When drilling go through the top glass stoping before you drill through the bottom glass go slow. Make sure you have enough resin to do the job in this case more is better. as in the link. After your resin flows through the breather holes tape it quickly to avoid a bigger mess. After it cured I drilled a little down and cleaned the holes and did a gel coat repair Its hard to even see.

Good luck

Todd