Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHICH GPS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have just purchased an AI and intend to explore the vast coastal waters of southern Australia.
I use a GPS in my vehicle, and in my aircraft, and am looking for a suitable unit for the new AI.
I was hoping for a model that was multi-functional possibly with depth sounder and am keen to hear what units are being used and recommended. Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hi ya pirate....

i have looked into gps market and have found the garmin foretrex 101. it is wrist mounted as i find hand held a PITA. i know there are others that use deck mounted units but i personally steer away from these.

good luck exploring, i am doing the same but around the whitsunday islands...i got 74 to visit.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before you buy a boat mounted device, be sure there is a suitable place to mount it.

Personally, I'm not into multiple function devices. And, I like hand-held devices, because you are not limited to where they are used. If you go hand-held, you can't go wrong with a Garmin GPSMAP 60 or 76 CSx or Cx.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys for your input. I like both your suggestions as they both have their points.
You are one lucky bugger Astro with the expansive Witsunday Islands to sail and explore. I was up there on a cruise ship a few months ago and had a great time. A mate and I have just purchased our AI's and will one day get up to your wonderful region. My only problem with the wrist GPS is possibly the size of the readout. My eyes are not as strong as once they were and I might not be able to read the dial without corrective glasses which I really do not want to wear.
In relation to the hand held Chekika, how do you carry it. Does it come with a mount or do you attach a lanyard around the wrist or what?
...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would really like to have a GPS unit and With the Black Friday deals available this is a great time to buy one but........ I would like one that I can use on the water as a Navigational GPS (charts)as well as have the readouts for Speed and the distance covered on the water as well as a unit that could be used in the car for directions and street maps. Is there such a unit? and what is the cost and will it cost lots extra for maps etc..... I am a Man about Value for the $$ and getting the most for my money. Like saving $1000 on a new AI. Any input on brands/models suggestions would be great. Thanks for your help and advice..... It is much appreciated EAI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Pirate

Take a look at this thread - it mentions a couple that might be suitable. :wink:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... hlight=gps

Apart from that the fishing sites list heaps - but they're pricey :shock:
http://www.marinenutz.com/products/cati ... ombos.html

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/i ... opic=21427

Mickeymouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Australia as far as value goes it's hard to beat the Nokia Navigator 6110 mobile phone for one gadget that does pretty much everything (except depth sounding/fishfinding of course!)
It is the only mobile phone with an integrated GPS with free voice guided directions. The maps are adequate for kayaking but should be used in conjunction with proper topo maps. It will give you a co-ordinates GPS position and when used with Nokia's free Sports Tracker program will log your Time/Distance/Speed on a screen that is easily seen in daylight, even in a phone drybag. I am able to read it easily by sitting it in the cupholder or mesh pocket. You can export your track as a Google Earth KML file:
(The above pic details my 76 year old father's first go in an AI. He had a great time!)

I have a data plan with it which has been useful in getting up to date weather info. Being able to view the Weather Radar loops while on the water helps in deciding whether to stay out or come in!
The simplicity of one gadget that does so much makes this a must have IMHO! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Hey Pirate
Apart from that the fishing sites list heaps - but they're pricey :shock:
Mickeymouse

I'm hearing ya Mickey...They are a bit pricey for Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that input Stringy though I do want a purpose GPS.
Mickey and I will be looking for faraway venues to sail our new crafts next year. Where are you launching out of?
And just now looking at your plot I do think you should go easy on the turps for a week or two...:wink: :wink: Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ARRRR Pirate,
If he'd been on the turps he may have tracked straighter! :wink:
We launch mostly in Brisbane Water or off Ettalong near the mouth of the Hawkesbury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Pirate,

Apologies for this slow reply to your questions (I immediately left on a kayak-camping trip after I posted the reply above.)

Like Stringy, I have no mount for my Garmin 76. I keep it in an Aquapac bag, since no matter what the companies say, GPS's do not stand up to regular saltwater dousing for much more than 1.5 yrs. I attach a 4' lanyard to some point near one of the mesh pockets and keep it in the pocket or just lay it vertical against the mesh material of the pocket--it stays there just fine. Since I have half of a paddle shock-corded along the side of the boat (I don't have the newer paddle holder on the aka), I hang the top half of the Aquapac over the edge of the paddle blade (the Aquapac top is actually hanging out over the water.) On this past trip, I just happened to take a picture of my GPS--first time ever--took 2 pictures actually. The first shows the display, the second shows the controls. The GPS was laying on my leg and I could not really see exactly what picture I was taking, but here is how they turned out.

If you are serious about exploring in your area, you are going to want a GPS that gives you significant information. One of the features I like best is the "VMG"--that is the velocity made toward your destination even through you are on a tack and moving at an angle other than the straight-line route. On my map page, I have my speed and my VMG displayed, along with bearing and heading. In the picture and this leg of my trip, I was pretty much going in a straight-line to my distination, although I had to head in a slightly different direction to make up for the force of wind pushing me off course--that is part of the reason for the bearing and heading readings being different (I also was taking a picture and not paying attenting to my direction.)

In any case, a dedicated, hand-held GPS like a Garmin 76 will give you lots of useful information, in addition to allowing you to set up routes. I highly recommend it or one similar for a kayak sailor who wants to do more than race or day-sailing in the bay.

By the way, I cannot read the GPS when it is laying on or in the mesh pocket. To use it, I pick it up. During periods when I want to read it continously, I hold it in my free hand. I originally layed the GPS on the center hatch--very convenient--but the motion of your legs (pedaling), seemed to mess it up.

One final point. Get a GPS w/ a color display--gray scale just does not cut it under conditions which we use these devices.

Good luck.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your input Stringy and Chekika.
We will get up your way next year Stringy. Maybe we could meet and sail together?

Interesting you say about the vunerability of the 'waterproof' GPS and importance of a colour screen Chekika which I take on-board. Those waterproof bags are readily available I guess.

One last question. Do you think there is there much of an advantage in spending extra on a moving map model?..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Aquapac bags are probably available in Australia and certainly via mail-order from the US (REI, NRS, etc.)

I've had several rather disappointing experiences with using unprotected, "waterproof" GPS devices, which forced me to begin using dry bags. I used to joke that I was testing my "waterproof" GPS--all tests ended prematurely in failure. My Garmin 76 is going on 5 yrs now. I used a small, roll-top dry bag for 3 yrs, before switching to Aquapac bags.

Color is close to a necessity.

If it does not break the bank, buy a mapping GPS. I don't know what is available in Australia, but a down-loadable topo map (of Australia) would great. If you can't get a down-loadable topo map, then, perhaps a mapping GPS is not important.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe I misunderstood your question about a "moving map" model. I'm not sure what that is. Most (all?) hand-held GPS's will show the real-time track of your boat or you (on a hike). Is that what you mean?

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Pirate,
I agree with Keith. Ultimately any so-called waterproof gadget will leak. I have lost a Magelan GPS and a Pentax waterproof camera through leaking. It's probably because the seals need regular servicing and on most equipment that is not practical. I have a Canon Ixus camera in a dedicated Canon underwater case. I can service the main seal on that, though not the control seals. I can see though if it is leaking, hopefully before damage is done.
My phone sits in a Black Wolf small phone/gps drybag which I got from BCF. Remember though that even drybags can leak. Kepnutz posted a while back how his camera was ruined when his drybag failed.
PS- Let us know when you're up this way and and we'll try to meet up. We have lots of great waterways that are perfect for the AI.