Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - Mono Lake
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone ever tried sailing Mono Lake? Is there a ramp there and a hose to wash off that salt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I asked the locals in Lee Vining about sailing Mono Lake and they said, "Go for it!" I don't know about a launch ramp, but I think there's one in town, so bring beach wheels in case you need to beach launch. I don't know where to find a wash down, but the salts shouldn't hurt the boat too badly, besides, you can rinse it off at any other fresh water lake such as Crowley Lake about an hour south, or Lake Tahoe.

From http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=514:

Quote:
Boating
All types of boating are permitted on Mono Lake, although access is restricted to all islands between April 1 and August 1 each year to protect the nesting gulls. It is advisable to stay near shore while boating, and to be alert for sudden high winds. We recommend launching canoes and kayaks at Navy Beach, on the south shore, where a parking lot is close to the water. For those with boats too large to carry, an unimproved launch ramp is available near Lee Vining Creek. Stop by the Scenic Area Visitor Center for directions.

Post subject: Re: CA - Mono Lake
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One thing to be aware of with regard to Mono Lake... the recorded levels of natural arsenic in the lake and its muds can be 700x what the EPA considers safe. However, people still swim and boat there, and the visitor's center still recommends doing so.

I grew up near Mono Lake and love the place. Have not sailed it yet, but I'm planning to soon (Hobie Tandem Island).

The lake is also worth a swim. If you haven't been swimming in a hypersaline lake yet, you're in for an unforgettable time. Just be sure to avoid getting a lot of water in your mouth at Mono, and rinse off after you get out. Having body lotion and lip balm on stand-by is a good idea too.

You can also camp on the rocky portions of shoreline (including on the islands) provided you give the nesting birds their due regard at the specified times of the year as indicated on the vsitor center's web page.

There IS a ramp (gravel, I tink) near highway 395 that will let you trailer your boat all the way into the water. Navy Beach on the lake's south side has no such access for trailers... you'd have to portage about 30 yards from parking spot to shoreline.

Image Image