Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 328
Location: little Washington, NC
After thoroughly cleaning the existing applied stripes, I used painter's masking tape to cover all areas except one stripe. I ran the tape tightly up against the edge of the stripe being painted, making sure there were no bubbles along the edges and that I accurately and smoothly followed the edge of the stripe. If your stripes were not straight when first applied, you can actually fix it now by doing a good taping job.

I used additional tape and newspaper to cover the other stripes and surrounding areas to avoid overspray. I used hardware store rattle can spray enamel, making a couple of light passes, to paint the first stripe. I removed the tape from edges of the just painted stripe when the paint was still flexible, but waited until it was thoroughly dry and hard, before taping the edges of the second stripe and covering all other exposed areas. I did it all again for the third stripe.

The taping, though not difficult takes longer than painting. The key was using the original stripes to get good line with the painter's tape. Again, be careful that newly painted areas are fully cured/dry before applying painter's tape when you mask subsequent stripes or you will lift the new paint when you remove the tape.

_________________
Alan
'86 H16, Sail #89057


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:14 am
Posts: 14
Hello,
There are people all over the world that can make any stripe you want. Just look up a guy who does sign work. The stripes are ALL JUST MADE OUT OF VINYL. You mark. peel and stick, then you roll them real good with a wallpaper roller and thats it. When they get old just warm them up with a paint removing gun and they all but fall off. I have done this so many times it isnt even funny. You can make your boat look any way you want to now a days. If you want to change the color but dont want to paint just find a guy who does vehicle wraps. Its out of this world. A guy I know here in Bakersfield does it so well he did my buddies boat three years ago and it still looks brand new and when you want to peel it off, it has actually protected the boat from U.V. rays. They do it to lease cars all the time because you cant paint them. Check it out!!!!!!

John Yaeck
Woodmiser@sbcglobal.net


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:19 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Great ideas!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 769
Location: Indianapolis, IN
John A. Yaeck wrote:
Hello,
There are people all over the world that can make any stripe you want. Just look up a guy who does sign work. The stripes are ALL JUST MADE OUT OF VINYL. You mark. peel and stick, then you roll them real good with a wallpaper roller and thats it. When they get old just warm them up with a paint removing gun and they all but fall off. I have done this so many times it isnt even funny. You can make your boat look any way you want to now a days. If you want to change the color but dont want to paint just find a guy who does vehicle wraps. Its out of this world. A guy I know here in Bakersfield does it so well he did my buddies boat three years ago and it still looks brand new and when you want to peel it off, it has actually protected the boat from U.V. rays. They do it to lease cars all the time because you cant paint them. Check it out!!!!!!

John Yaeck
Woodmiser@sbcglobal.net

How much have the vinyl decals cost you? I have been quoted $200 to make and install new stripes on my Boomer.

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
check ebay, there are several strips listed for sale right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 769
Location: Indianapolis, IN
sxrracer wrote:
check ebay, there are several strips listed for sale right now.

Unfortunately they aren't boomer style...

Thanks though!

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Go to an autobody supply house. They should be able to get you the 3m pin stripping to recreate the pattern


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 769
Location: Indianapolis, IN
sxrracer wrote:
Go to an autobody supply house. They should be able to get you the 3m pin stripping to recreate the pattern

What kind of place are we talking about here? I did a google search for "autobody supply indianapolis" and came up short on an specific places.

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Sells Auto Paint........ They also sell anything needed for body work. Bondo, Paint Guns to Pin Stripes!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 am
Posts: 50
Location: Austin, TX
NOS Molokai stripes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobie-Cat-Molok ... 257cafe0ad

_________________
[imgImage][/img]
83 Hobie 14 Turbo - Cat Fever
86 Hobie Holder 12 "Mello Yello"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 613
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
He only has one roll. 20'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group