Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm no expert, but don't they shape fibreglass surfboards by sanding them? I heard this technique was pioneered by some guy called Hobie Alter :) . This suggests that fibreglass is susceptible to abrasion by sand. Possibly not the case with polyethylene?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Geoff wrote:
Many thanks peddlefisher. I just spent an age trying to find that info on the web, but its almost as if Hobie has managed to hide the dimensions completely. But I did find this post on another forum:

So it looks like if you want a good cart, you have to buy the Wheeleez one, but some folks hate the fact that it straps on, while others hate the way the Hobie one fits in the scupper holes. Personally I have no problems with the scupper hole idea. But the Hobie frame wont allow for those big Wheeleez wheels to clear.

Geoff.

I'm new to this so please forgive any goof-ups in etiquette, etc. I recently ordered an AI and found this cart that looks identical to the Wheeleez, but is about $50 less.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___58640
These folks deliver quick and shipping is very reasonable.
I can't wait to get the boat in the water for the first time, especially after reading all the different posts for the past year!
Surfnshoot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chrisj wrote:
Quote:
This suggests that fibreglass is susceptible to abrasion by sand. Possibly not the case with polyethylene?

Every material is subject to abrasion by sand, some materials are just more susceptible than others. Fiberglass is much harder than polyethylene and therefore much less susceptible to abrasion. Try cutting fiberglass with a knife, you just cannot do it but plastic is very easy to cut.

I bought a used paddle kayak a couple of years ago. It has a couple of shallow cuts on the bottom, near the bow, where it was probably beached on a sharp oyster shell, or something similar. That would never happen with fiberglass.

I have decided that for my AI I am going to get a "dragging tarp" that I can strap under one end of the yak. I will use that to drag it over the sand or grass when I am launching it. But I will be extra careful never to drag it over a beach of shells or rocks. It could still get cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have two plastic sea kayaks that could be dragged in the sand daily, they hold up well to scratches. My AI on the other hand is extremely susceptible to scratches. I rarely drag it in the sand, only when landing on the beach. Even then, I lift the bow to avoid dragging it. My boat is full of scratches and cuts along the entire length. I sometimes wonder if someone is sneaking into my yard with sandpaper and a knife.....haahaa.

Post subject: Play noodles
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For those of you that do just a short stretch of sand I have successfully used kids pool noodles. I just cut them in two and make a rolling gangway to get an easy two kayak length pull. I then go back and collect the ones in the rear and bring them to the front and do it all over again.

Those roller systems once built the pyramids.

Last year I added another feature and that was to thread a bungee cord thru and loop it on both ends. They now can serve to protect the hull at rest on the beach from hull abrasion.