Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just another comment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have looked at some photos, and really it looks to me as if the Aussie setup will allow a serious rake of the mast.

Is that it's main intent? I am really flailing in the wind here, so to speak....

CCMQ6749M82H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I belive your right on the money. From what I have read. The Matts would know the Advantage or Disadvantage of the Aussie rig. I'm more of a guy if it isn't broke don't mess with it unless you suspect a worn part.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tchristian wrote:
I belive your right on the money. From what I have read. The Matts would know the Advantage or Disadvantage of the Aussie rig. I'm more of a guy if it isn't broke don't mess with it unless you suspect a worn part.

Todd

Hi Todd,

I tend to think that way also. I just remembered seeing it in the catalog and noticing that the halyard was in the neighborhood of 70' long, and I couldn't figure that out. Now, in looking at some pictures of boats in action, and seeing the setup at the mast tang appears to diferent than mine, I figured it was/is the Aussie rig. The boats that had it seem to have way more rake in the mast than I could ever hope to have. But, that could be a result of the comp tip too.

I had no firm plans to get an Aussie rig, but, if it made that big of an improvement over the "stock" setup....maybe it is worth it.

Truth is, I probably do not sail enough to make the investment. In the years I have sailed Hobies I have never used anything other than a factory setup.

Thanks for the reply Todd, from another Todd.

CCMQ6749M82H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:51 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Aussie / Standard rig doesn't affect the amount of mast rake you can carry. That's basically limited by the placement of the jib tack / clew and the stack-up of the mainsheet blocks. (You need to be able to sheet in all the way on both sails)

What the Aussie Jib halyard system does is reduce the load on the wire/line that comes down the mast.

On a stock system, the wire carries the full load of the jib halyard all the way down to the pulley / cleat on the side of the mast. This makes the mast want to preferentially rotate clockwise. It also acts like a bowstring and introduces some pre-bend in the mast (depending on how tight you carry it).

The Aussie system places the purchase bewteen the head of the sail and the tang, so that the line running down the mast to the cleat only carries 1/3 the load.

The problem with the stock system has largely been solved by moving the halyard pulley to the center front of the mast. But most racers prefer the Aussie system. I've been using it for 20 years. And yes, the line is about 67' long.