Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being farily new at this, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to places where I can launch my H18 on the western basin side of Lake Erie.

I have often fished out of several ports from Ohio around up into Michigan, but don't recall seeing any favorable launch sites for a Hobie.

I did give the Maumee State Park a call one day to see what they have to offer, since they do have showering facilities, but they said no lauch site on the grounds.

I will be trailering and really don't think I am ready to join up at any yacht clubs (yet) as I will want to explore different lakes.

Any help or heads up will be greatly appreciated!

I am in the midst of putting together a cat-trax if that would help in any suggestions of where to get wet at.

Bret

Post subject: lake erie launchs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been wanting to know the same thing, where to launch . I did see a picture of Maumee bay state park on a wind surfing site, the cars where parked right near a sandy looking beach. I dont know if you could launch from there with a set of cat traks or not. When you asked the park they might have been thinking you had to have a ramp for a trailer.........Jay

Post subject: Maumee Bay
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Come Spring, I plan on running over there to check it out for myself. If I can get to the beach and they don't care, I will go ahead and launch from there.

Will let you know if I find anything out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That would be great, pleas do let me know. I am In Ft Wayne so your a little closer. let me know if you want a crew some time I could make the drive over. Or maybe even bring my boat and crew, we could head out together...Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jay,

Will keep you posted. Sounds good too on you offereing to Crew or even bring your boat. There is an "inland" lake that I have been at that would be even closer for the both of us. It is Clear Lake which is in Fremont IN. I'm guessing around an hour for you to get there. I put on there last fall so I know it is launchable!

Will keep in touch,

Bret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bret, I am familiar with Clear lake. I keep my H 16 on lake James just a little west of there. James is a nice lake but dosent have a good spot to launch a Hobie from. I found a nice place on lake MI about 2hrs 15 min from me called Weco beach, a paved ramp to the water and a big sandy beach plus a camp ground. I am looking for a H18 to buy so if you see one in your area let me know, hopfuly something a bit newer than my 79 ....Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

maybe I will have to get directions to Weco beach! I really enjoy that "blue water" on Michigan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you want some directions to weco send me an e mail, I might even have a photo from there. I have not sailed from there yet but have kayaked there a few times. I do like sailing on Mi , would be great to have a second boat to go with. My brother and i used to take our boats to Mi and sail but he sold his about 10 years ago....Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you'd consider Sandusky "western lake erie", I've launched successfully from the Shelby st. boat launch in sandusky. It's free. There's a similar launch in marblehead. I am also going to try launching from east harbor state park at some point. I gotta imagine there's an accessible spot in there somewhere w/ beach wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you want to be near Maumee Bay State Park, there is a public launch on Bay Shore Rd., approx. 2 miles west of the park, near the power plant. The bottom is a bit mucky at the launch, so remember to where some water shoes or old tennis shoes.
One of the best places to launch a Hobie for western Lake Erie (near Toledo) is just across the Michigan line at a public ramp just off of Summit St. It's approx. 1/3 mile south of Stearns Rd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Halfway Creek . Behind BiState marine . Have launched there a couple times . Stone lot ,concrete ramp .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When vacationing on western Lake Erie we use Mazurik Boat Access to I launch from.

8957 N Shore Blvd, Lakeside Marblehead, OH 43440

Very clean, safe and easy to get to. We have left our life jackets hanging on the boat overnight dry without issue. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking of a family summer vacation in next summer but wondering where to take my hobie 16. Has anyone sailed from the islands; Bass Islands or Kellys Island? Do any of the clubs there let you store a boat for a week?