Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mesh spray shield
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to make a yellow mesh spray shield and saw one on this forum but can't find it, can someone connect me to the thread?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:26 pm 
Hobie Team Member

See reconlon's post at:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ray+shield

Believe he used spray paint to get yellow color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or just drive down to Kihei and take a look at it :D

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ordered some nylon cloth to use as a spray shield...but now that it is here I think it is too fine a weave...I don't think it will let spray drain back down very easily (it is almost nylon tent fabric in weave). I cannot get shade cloth up here in MN unless I buy about $500 worth...only available in bulk from plant nursery supply houses up here (MN).
But KFS forum gave an online fabric store which will sell various fabrics by the yard. But I need to know an optimum mesh size.

In addition, would the same size mesh work as trampoline material...or
should that be a larger mesh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tidalwave - I have had the same problem getting the shade mesh and I want black, so please post your source when you post again. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think Ace Hardware in Kihei had black.

To test the material before I made my second shield, I tried spraying a garden hose through it both strait which you want most of the water to flow, and then at an angle which you don't want the water to flow through.

The shade cloth at Ace, Lowes and even Walmart works well for me, both by the yard (or foot) and the prepackaged rolls.

Here's a link to a drawing of my latest diamond shaped spray skirt:

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa65 ... ySkirt.jpg

My wife may be willing to sew some Spray Skirts for AI sailors without a sewing spouse. email me if interested.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kayaking Bob - You can read minds, I was going to ask someone to send the measurements. I won't be back to Maui until January and wanted to have them ready to go when I arrive.
Much aloha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayaking Bob,

Have you abandoned the little spreader near the bow and the line across to fold up the edges?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I still use that style Spray Skirt (with the spreader) on my yellow AI, but not on a boat I allow others to try.

The diamond shaped one is a lot easier to make (my yellow one is very customized, with more attachment points). The diamond shaped one also blocks about 90% of the spray that mine does, and is easier to setup, take down, transport and store.

My biggest worry is safety. A normal AI, when coming off a wave continues strait through the next wave if not turned at the bottom (submarineing!). With the diamond style Spray Skirt, when diving into a wave, the boat slows quickly and then turns (much nicer!). With my custom skirt, the boat stops quickly and needs help to turn out of the wave (cups the water). A pitch-pole is more likely for someone who hasn't had experience using it. I haven't pitch-poled yet, but felt close to it. I've also worked up to that design, trying different designs in different conditions as I improved them.

My friend Scott did almost pitch-poled once with the diamond design spray skirt, but in 8' wind waves that came up unexpectedly (4' wind waves were forecasted). His mast WAS parallel to the water! We got out of there after that.

I feel the diamond design works well and is "finished" while my "spreader" one is still a work in process. But BOY DOES IT LOOK GOOD! :)

One other benefit to all the spray skirts I've tried, is when the leeward ama starts burying, you can take your time to adjust, or keep pushing it as the spray skirt plains! In the picture below (my favorite), I'm in the middle AI catching up to the front one by plaining off my spray skirt.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's some pictures on how the Spray Skirt mounts to the AI. (All # are Hobie part numbers)

A. Mounting to the gunnel with a Ball Brace #79525001 with an appropriate SS hardware or better yet a Ram ball mount #72023001 to attach other toys. (a padeye #71110001 would work too)
Be careful as the up/down lines are in that area, but lots of room. With some resolve, you can reach there to hold washers and nuts. I tie a loop on the outer line that can slip over the ball, then tie the inner line tightly through it. If anything stretches, this is where to tighten (or add a knot to B. below)

B. Bow mount using a small shackle like #SP150061 gives more room and easier to remove. The extra knot was easily added after the line fully stretched from use.

C. Aka mount. A loop of the line gives a place to mount some double-sided velcro to hold firm to the aka. Then a bungee or line can loop over the eyelet post near the ama, or like we did, add another eyelet post #41220001 closer for ease of attaching & removing while on the water. A loop of 1" strapping helps to pull the line or bungee.

D. Hull attachment. One side has the cheek block for the sheet line that we don't want to interfere with, so 2 wire ties hold it to the back so not to interfere.

On the other side, any attachment point added to a screw of the up line internal pulley (if there) otherwise just add a ss bolt. I used a Nylon Cable Clamp from Ace Hardware. (a padeye #71110001 would work too)
The wire tie should go through the material and around the line inside of it.

I used drip irrigation tubing where the outer lines run, it's probably not necessary but there is room for it if used.

If you look close at the pictures, you'll see wire ties where the lines exit the shade cloth. To keep tension on the material, I tied a simple knot in the line before it exits so the wire tie against the knot keeps everything taut.

We have had some wear issues, where the aka pins rub and will try sewing a piece of plastic milk jug there.

Here's it folded, ready for transport

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all the details! I like the idea of planing off the cloth, and I guess you're saying that it doesn't dive through waves as much, but what about when it does? Some of the waves we get here are short and steep enough that I'm going through them whether I try to turn off or not. How does the diamond design act when you do punch it through a wave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess it depends on the wave and your speed. I have at times skimmed across smaller steep waves here, cutting off the tops of them (and getting quite wet!). If the bow drops down and grabs one of the waves it will just slow down. Enough of them in a row and the boat would probably slow to a stop.

I would be curious, on your experience, when/if you try making and using a spray skirt yourself. I'm all for any improvements anyone comes up with. My own designs were influenced by the ideas and testing by GWIS on the KFS forums.

Kayaking Bob

P.S. All the connections and materials I used, are light duty, designed to fail long before damaging anything on the AI. No connection has failed to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great and very helpful posts Bob especially with those pictures. I will definately getting one of those spray protectors very shortly. I see you are using pvc tubing on the outer edges for rigidity Bob but you haven't chosen to use it running along the hull. Why is that?...Pirate

PS The photo you sent me is my desktop screen display now...thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used the drip irrigation tubing more to protect the shade cloth and line from wearing on each other from movement. The line and cloth next to the hull I do not expect to move. I see less movement than I expected, where the tubing is, so it may not be needed there.

Thanks. My computers background screen is my favorite picture, a few posts above with the 3 AI's racing. Helps get me moving, to load up and get on the water.

These boats are great fun.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is one site which sells fabric at less than 1,000 sq ft!

http://www.ahh.biz/fabric_catagories/me ... etting.htm

They will sell the material rolled for an extra $8.00 (USD)...so I assume
that they normally ship the material folded in a box.

It appears that only 'sunbelt' big-box stores sell shade cloth! I have
stopped at all the stores mentioned in the forum and they all state
that they don't carry any and have no way to order any (ACE hdrwr/WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes, etc.). Suppose it is too expensive to
stock up here where the sun never gets super-intense.

I still haven't had any response on recommended mesh size (too small and not enough drainage/too large and spray will probably shoot right through)