Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood your question about a "moving map" model. I'm not sure what that is. Most (all?) hand-held GPS's will show the real-time track of your boat or you (on a hike). Is that what you mean?

Keith

I mean database maps that show the complete topography, shore ouline, creeks, towns etc. as distinct from gps that you input your own waypoints. I am thinking it would be fun to have the database gps but am looking for others' inputs....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
G'Day Pirate,
I agree with Keith. Ultimately any so-called waterproof gadget will leak. I have lost a Magelan GPS and a Pentax waterproof camera through leaking. It's probably because the seals need regular servicing and on most equipment that is not practical. I have a Canon Ixus camera in a dedicated Canon underwater case. I can service the main seal on that, though not the control seals. I can see though if it is leaking, hopefully before damage is done.
My phone sits in a Black Wolf small phone/gps drybag which I got from BCF. Remember though that even drybags can leak. Kepnutz posted a while back how his camera was ruined when his drybag failed.
PS- Let us know when you're up this way and and we'll try to meet up. We have lots of great waterways that are perfect for the AI.

Hi Stringy, Very good points you raise about so called waterproof. I believe now my next one will be in a bag as you suggest.

And I'll let you know when we venture up that way and see if we can get together, and by all means it will be reciprical if you wander down to these wonderful waterways here sometime...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,

OK, your database maps are what I called "topo maps." All mapping GPS's can download database (topo) maps--the catch is, do you have a database map for your area or country? For example, Garmin has a "MapSource TOPO United States" which has excellent topo maps covering all the US including Alaska and Hawaii. The maps are not the highest quality, but they are good and only cost about $99. Garmin also has downloadable street maps for all the USA, Canada, and Europe. I've used those street maps on my Garmin 76 to guide me in different cities of the US just like an automobile GPS but w/o the voice.

Bottom-line, handheld mapping GPS devices are quite versatile so long as you can get suitable downloadable (your "database") maps. You should check w/ Garmin Australia (or whatever they are called) to see what is available.

Keith

Post subject: GPS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a deck RAM mounted Garmin GPS 76.

Proximity setting is great.....missed a 15' waterfall that had to be portaged that way. Significant shoals can be marked as well.

The GPS, if you are in a coastal zone should also have a tide chart built in for both planning and trip purposes.

The GPS, if you are going out on a long outing should have a moon calendar as well. Helps is all I'm saying to have that extra light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is there a handheld GPS that can can be used for road/street car use with maps and on the water w/ maps or charts??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm only familiar with some of the Garmin models. All Garmin mapping GPS' will do the TOPO maps, newer models have that map hardwired in.

If you look at Garmin Mapsouce City Navigator 2009, it will tell you which Garmin models can use that software--which is what you need for your GPS to navigate thru cities to addresses. Most of the handhelds will not have voice instruction, but give on screen text instructions. My Garmin 76 works just fine in that respect. I believe this link will take you to City Navigator: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmscnna.htm Click on the "compatible units" link

Typical GPS' will have tide charts built in, but they are pretty useless in coastal areas where tide changes can vary by 2+ hrs because of complex terrain variations (shallow coves; bays linked by rivers and creeks.) An excellent source of tides--you select the area--is http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Flamingo%2C+Florida+Bay%2C+Florida

If the GPS has tides, it will show the moon phase, sunrise, sunset. Most GPS' will do this.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ElementAI wrote:
Is there a handheld GPS that can can be used for road/street car use with maps and on the water w/ maps or charts??

For the past two seasons I've been using a Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx. This is the 4th GPS I've owned, with the prior units all being Magellan. I've added the US Inland Lakes package and the US City Navigator package. For the most part, this has worked pretty well. It's easy to read and use, it's waterproof (mostly - more on that later), and it floats. The unit itself ran about $300(US), plus another $100 for the City Navigator & $50 for the Inland Lakes. For the most part, it has given me most everything I could ask for from a GPS.

The thing I don't like about this solution is that when you add multiple map packages to a Garmin GPS, the unit prioritizes the map packages and only shows you the information from one of them. With these two, the City Navigator is higher priority, so it displays the streets, but not the waterway information. This may or may not be an issue for you, depending on where you sail. I do have one place I sail where some lesser waterways are not even shown on the City Nav map, while certain roads & bridges (key landmark) are not shown on the Lakes map. Caused a bit of a problem for me while trying to do some exploring in some backwater lagoons.

The other thing I found about this unit is that while it may be listed as waterproof (IPX7 rating), I discovered the gasket to the battery compartment started leaking on me after about a year. This resulted in the battery terminals getting completely rusted & corroded. The unit still worked when connected to external power, such as the USB port, but this doesn't help much when out on the AI. As it was out of warranty, I ended up having to pay for Garmin to service the unit. I just received the repaired (factory reconditioned) unit back the other day. We'll see how things work out with this one. Not sure I'm going to rely on the watertight integrity of the unit next time. I'll probably look for a dry bag that fits the unit.

As a side note, prior to talking to Garmin about the problem with the leaking 76Cx, I happened to wander into a West Marine store on Black Friday. They had a Colorado 400c on sale for $300, which is half price. Not knowing that I was going to get the 76Cx repaired, I couldn't pass it up. The 400c appears to be a bit more rugged, and includes the BlueChart Coastal package built in. I have added my City Navigator package to it, and when I look at the screen I can see both the lagoon and the bridge I mentioned before. It also has a couple other features that may be nice to have. I'll have to let you know how that one works out next summer.

- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim,

Nice summary of the Garmin 76. Regarding "waterproof" GPS units, I have only had negative experiences w/ one Magellan and several Garmin when they are doused regularly with saltwater. I don't trust any of them. My solution is to keep my GPS units in Aquapac dry bags--I discussed this on page 1 of this discussion. I also show a couple pictures on that page. Interestingly, and I did not realize it at the time, my Aquapac bag had a cut in it when those pictures were taken, so there is a bit of humidity in the bag. It was a small cut and I have patched it.

That cut does not shake my faith in Aquapac bags--they are great. I often have the Aquapac bag/GPS laying in my kayak seat where all manner of stuff is thown on them. The cut reminds me that these are plastic bags--albeit tough--and they probably should be treated more carefully. It is the first cut in 2 yrs use of 2 different bags/GPS units.

I keep a couple small silica gel bags in the Aquapac bag at all times, changing them every month or 2.

The IPX7 rating ("waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes") does not prevent these systems from corroding internally. It has been suggested by some people that the GPS units can be protected by smearing grease on all the openings and terminals--that will probably work, but since you are using these around your desk & computer to download maps, wpts, and routes (& the reverse), I don't find that an acceptible procedure.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith,

You're right about the Aquapac dry bags. I do have a couple of them for cell phones and the like. Even though one of my phones is supposed to be water proof (Verizon g'Zone), except for the occasional dunking in my pocket, or getting splashed, I haven't been bold enough to fully trust it. With my regular phone I won't even get near the water without putting the phone into one of the Aquapac bags. So far they have held up well. I wondered about UV, but that hasn't appeared to be a problem, so far.

- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They look like they do the job very well judging by the Youtube footage especially if you accidentally drop a GPS unit down the toilet...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgX8yrcPZ4

Does anyone know where I can get hold of an Aquapac or two in Australia?...Captain Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
They look like they do the job very well judging by the Youtube footage especially if you accidentally drop a GPS unit down the toilet...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgX8yrcPZ4

Does anyone know where I can get hold of an Aquapac or two in Australia?...Captain Pirate

Pirate,

I saw one today in Aussie Disposals Outdoor Camping Shop, Bairnsdale.
They only had one left.
They also have a small two-man tent on special for $30 that is similar in shape and size to the Aldi one, but looks like it might stow inside the hull.
Mickey