Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Sony Mini-DV camera with shallow waterproof housing which I have been thinking about mounting on my AI.
However, a friend of mine recommended using a 'helmet mount-type bullet video camera'. His unit uses a 4GB SD chip for 2-3 hr recording, is about the size of your thumb, costs about 100USD but only has 640x480 resolution and no 'shake reduction'.
What do AI videographers recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a Olympus Stylus waterproof camera. Mine is a 725SW but there are many different models. I have it tethered to my PFD and stored in a pocket on it. The trick is taking good pictures/video while keeping my own craft under control and out of the way. :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: Sanyo Xacti E2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased the Sanyo Xacti E2 which is a waterproof camcorder with the usual still picture capability. I have been very happy with it. I just made a video where I was sailing with the view at the waterline. Then I put the camera underwater while sailing which gave a neat view under the kayak. Sanyo makes a tether that I use to attach to the chest of my PFD which fits in a mesh pocket like Kayaking Bob. I can sail with one hand while filming with the other.

Maybe some day I will capture some underwater footage of a Great White stalking my AI. There have been some reports of a very large one prowling the local area. A stand up paddle boarder had one cruise alongside him a few days ago.

Anyways, Amazon.com has this great camcorder for only $199 which is a fantastic price. Don't forget to buy extra batteries. The Lenmar ones are working out fine for me.

One last thing, when putting your camera under water while sailing, be ready for your seat to fill with water as the water rushes up your arm and into the kayak. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-E2-Digi ... 722&sr=8-1

Jerry
www.adventurehighway.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also just recently bought a Sanyo Xacti waterproof (to 1.5m) video and still camera and have been very happy with it. But i paid $650 AU which is about $400 US at the moment so thats certainly a good deal at Amazon.com.

I am really rapped with the functionality of the Sanyo, i can take video clips and easily edit within the camcorder, then join whichever clips i want together rather than having to wait to do on a PC later. The highest resolution is 640x480 60 frames a second, i use 640x480 30 frames a second which views fine on a standard TV but pixelates a little on a large screen HD TV, but then you can get 3 hours of video from the included 4GB SD card. You can also choose a lower res setting of 320x240 and 15 fps for the web.

I took a video on my AI recently and attached the Xacti to the front cross beam using a tripod (JOBY) which has large flexible knuckle joints on the legs for wrapping around just about anything. I found that let me have my hands free and i just had to slip forward to turn on and off, next time i will use the lower res setting to post on YouTube.

Post subject: Sanyo xacti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have the Sanyo xacti waterproof camcorder and have used it underwater, through the big rapids on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon, offshore fishing, etc. - it is fabulous. We use it for both video and still pictures - does a great job and is very sheap. We never had any water infiltration, even when submerged a couple feet in saltwater.

Post subject: Re: Sanyo xacti
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dmfick wrote:
I also have the Sanyo xacti waterproof camcorder and have used it underwater, through the big rapids on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon, offshore fishing, etc. - it is fabulous. We use it for both video and still pictures - does a great job and is very sheap. We never had any water infiltration, even when submerged a couple feet in saltwater.

dmfick/i tri - any pix/video we can see?
Is the video 640x480?
Mickey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi mickey

i finally got around to loading my first youtube of recent sailing out of scarborough, yes it is 640x480 and 30fps, click on high definition at:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MLwZux_LY9E

This was my first attempt at using the video handheld and i was a bit shaky at times but the sanyo has good shake reduction obviously, i previously had mounted the unit on the front Xbar but the viewing is a bit boring as you need to pan around.

As i said before the beauty of this video camera is being able to edit (cut and join) videos on board the unit without any degradation or without encoding problems of using a PC.

Enjoy, i will post some more later.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi i tri

I'm a bit short on time to reply properly at present but just wanted to commend you on your first video post with the Sanyo camera.

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys:

I have been using my Nikon D90 digital SLR in a Ewa-Marine housing to collect HD video (720p 30 FPS) when my Son and I take our Islands out. It does a great job and is compact and watertight. Best of all I can use all my Nikon lenses from fisheye to telephoto. Please see the link below to view some of the video.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R5 ... directlink

Thanks,

Last edited by FJ80guy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ray, some nice videos.

One question though, what's the deal with the Hawaiian plate on the AI trailer in TN? :D

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Reconlon: Funny story with the plate, back in the mid 90's I bought the plate while I was on Oahu to put on the front of my Land Crusier (since TN does not require a front plate or a plate on boat trailers). I ran that plate for many years on the LC and had many comments as people really thought I was from Hawaii. Later, when my Son took over the LC, he took the plate off. Last year, as I was building my kayak trailer, I found the plate and thought it would look great with all the kayaks. Last year, while launching my Islands in Florida, I did notice a lot of stares at the plate. I really like Hawaii and hope to get back there soon.

Thanks,