Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing AI on its wheels
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I always have taken the AI off it's beach cart or AI wheels and let it sit on the grass. My question is can I just leave it on the wheels without the hull distorting and being damaged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
No

Can you be more concise please Bob... :wink:
Then if you are camping for a week or so with the AI set up and resting on its hull on the beach, will there be distortion of the hull?..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the sand should be ok, on the grass even better (cooler), but keeping it on the wheels is not recommended. Using tennis balls on the cart helps keeping it from distorting during regular use.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I sit my AI on its trolley for about 30 minutes, it develops a noticeable groove in the hull between the scuppers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there any risk of real damage of the structural kind other than deformation of the hull?...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Is there any risk of real damage of the structural kind other than deformation of the hull?...Pirate

No one seems to want to tackle that one so I'll ask another...
Does anyone leave the wheels under the hull when they sail or paddle or is there just too much drag?..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think that would probably be done as a oops moment and the confession would only come out around the campfire after a few cold ones. Not speaking from experience here.... Just a guess. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well you wouldn't have to worry about hitting the reef with the runnung gear if you left the wheels plugged in!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few people on the forums have admitted to forgetting to take out their wheels on launch, and have said it was VERY slow. Some, on their very first sail/pedal and wondered what everybody was so pleased with, on a boat that moved so slow. :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
A few people on the forums have admitted to forgetting to take out their wheels on launch, and have said it was VERY slow. Some, on their very first sail/pedal and wondered what everybody was so pleased with, on a boat that moved so slow. :)

Kayaking Bob

Yeah I did it two days ago, in strong wind. I was absolutely astounded the AI was going no where. Must have taken at least 20 seconds for the penny to drop. Duh. Its a really good sea anchor.

Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On a camping trip last summer, my GF & I walked on boats on a lake to lake portage. When she took off, she kept explaining something was wrong with the boat, the pedal drive was barely moving the boat. She insisted something was wrong with the fins.

I pulled along side her and started laughing my head off when I saw the shadowy outline of the wheels underneath in the water.

The was a lesson in how small things in boat design can make a huge difference (+ or -) in performance.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, and how's the NEW girlfriend? :lol: :lol:

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pirate wrote:
IMO, long term repeated flexing of polyethylene can weaken it. To illustrate, below is a pedaling canoe -- notice the left tube support has broken clean away due to repeated flexing under load:

This next picture gives a closer view of the fracture line:

A little flexing is no big deal and the Hobies have a good recovery of shape. I've never seen a Hobie crack or fail from flexing but in time the deformation can eventually take a set.

Personally, I go to great lengths to avoid deforming the hull, if for no other reason than it affects the dynamic shape of the boat and may slow it down slightly. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good example of regular stressing of plastic Roadrunner. I too will try and give my Island a very 'stress free' life though not yesterday though!!
YOU'LL LAUGH AT THIS ONE....
Went sailing in 20 to 25 knots wind in our Lakes yesterday with Mickey in his. I car-top mine while Mickey carries his by trailer. I have the rigging down pat now and 10 mins is all I need to get it off the car and into the water. Kinda proud of that bit. Was looking forward to getting into the water and sail out past the protected point into the wind to see how these things perform in strong winds.
Mickey just beat me to the ramp and launched his own. While he was parking his vehicle I walked mine over to the ramp on its wheels and slipped her into the water. As I said I was really looking forward to getting out there to see how she performed in strong winds. Anyway not long before I was under-way and out there still waiting for Mickey. He talks to just about everyone (being a retired Colonel he just about knows everyone and has the gift of the gab LOL) and so I was doing a bit of experimentation with reefed sails etc. Frankly I was disappointed with 'Jindabyne Gipsy's' performance. She could not point and was a real slug. Got out into the real choppy stuff with water being driven off the waves by the wind, but still no performance. I was having trouble keeping high enough to get back into the protected waters, and being pushed towards the lee shore where there was an element of danger. In the meantime Mickey got his act together and was sailing past me like I was stopped......Yes you have guessed it...after posting the question yesterday....I did it myself...I accidentally left the wheels under the boat when I launched. WOW WHAT A LOT OF DRAG..As said above, it is equivilent to a sea anchor attached... Doesn't point, doesn't go hardly at all.
I was actually very relieved that I had found such a significent problem as frankly I was beginning to think the Island was a dog in any sort of chop.
To solve the problem I thought of getting to a protected beach first but could not point high enough to get there. After considering for a few seconds, I simply put the arm over the side and very easily able to release the trolley and stow it in the space behind.
That made an incredible difference to the boat's performance and from that moment on I started having fun. I was able to use the 25knot gusts to drive the boat further downwind and onto a few waves. Now that was fun....but oh so wet. At times it was like a fire-hose was on and pointing directly at me, form water being funneled up from the quarter bow and through the gaps in the front of the dodger. I could see Mickey was out there having just as much fun as me...and was just as we..good thing someone else was getting it too...LOL..
Wont be long before Mrs. Pirate will be out with her sewing machine and following Kayaking Bob's trampoline instructions if I have my way.
Thought you might enjoy this example of what happens when you don't turn your brain on before you go sailing the AI....and oh..why did I relate this slightly amusing though slightly embarasing story?....no-no, not because I am an honest pirate, but only because Mickey was watching and was wise to it, and I decided to tell all before he had an opportunity..LOL....Happy New Year...Pirate