Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanting to buy an AI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Firstly I should introduce myself my name is Alex and hopefully soon to be an AI owner. Knowing this forum exists give me great confidence in the product and confidence that I will get what I want out of it.

I wanted to ask what might seem a stupid question but when I see photos of people sailing along in an AI in a decent wind, They seem to sitting quite awkwardly and it looks uncomfortable. Firstly how uncomfortable is it? And why would it not be possible to sit on the windward arma? (assumeing you rigged up a seat of some kind out of netting or something). Then your body weight could assist the speed and you could look behind while sailing which would be especially good for me because I would like to troll for fast surface fish.
Thanks heaps in advance
Regards Alex.

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Alex,

Well one of the things about AI's and good wind is - lots of water - spray. I can't see sitting on the Ama as being a great idea. And as for comfort, actually if you have a complaint to make, its that there's too little exercise involved in sailing an AI. They are so buoyant that you really don't need to have the weight out on the ama, although they can dig in a bit, and slow you down if the wind is really strong, but you won't sink it. But sitting on the other ama? Nah, can't see that being a plan. That could be a complete deluge.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I didn't actually mean sitting on the arma I visualised sitting on the edge of the kayak more or less and leaning windward. I would expect that may be a lot more uncomfortable without some sort of seat but anyway thanks for answering my question. I am assuming when you say lack of exercise you mean that a you don't get a sore back from leaning into the wind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a large pool noodle behind my seat which allows me to sit up on the back of the seat.

From there I can lean out more while keeping my butt out of the pool of water. I also have a length of pvc attached to my rudder lever so I can maintain rudder control while riding on high and leaning to starboard.

I also use a couple extra foam pads under and on top of the seat. I tend to get plenty of exercise from sailing the AI but then I rarely go out in less than 15 to 20 mph wind.

Here is a short clip of my rig in action.

http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=26E6BD9C828811DC9403000423CEF5B0
I find riding this way adds to considerably to the thrill factor.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's awesome! I can't wait to get one of these puppies. That looks like so much fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

did you find that lean out stabilised the craft more or gave you more control over the speed? maybe reduce the arma from digging in under load?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
did you find that lean out stabilized the craft more or gave you more control over the speed? maybe reduce the ama from digging in under load?

Short answer to all of the above is yes but not greatly so. I also like to ride that way because it makes it easier to reach around/behind the seat, grab stuff and film.

From my perch I can throw my weight 360 degrees in a small area or I can lean out to the side using the windward aka to brace myself.

But the real reason is there is no better way to ride the wild swells its more fun than a mechanical bull, which I did just once but that is another story.

I cross my seat straps over the extra foam pads so I can tuck my feet under them and I wrap the sail lines around my wrist & hand. Its so much fun I have even yelled yippee ki ay on some of the big ones.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:shock: that sounds awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gwiz wrote:
Quote:
did you find that lean out stabilized the craft more or gave you more control over the speed? maybe reduce the ama from digging in under load?

Short answer to all of the above is yes but not greatly so. I also like to ride that way because it makes it easier to reach around/behind the seat, grab stuff and film.

From my perch I can throw my weight 360 degrees in a small area or I can lean out to the side using the windward aka to brace myself.

But the real reason is there is no better way to ride the wild swells its more fun than a mechanical bull, which I did just once but that is another story.

I cross my seat straps over the extra foam pads so I can tuck my feet under them and I wrap the sail lines around my wrist & hand. Its so much fun I have even yelled yippee ki ay on some of the big ones.

gwiz

Hey Pirate - this sounds like you :lol: 8) :wink: :)
I might have to try this myself - very innovative :lol: :)
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Mickey exactly what I experimented with yesterday on our run home. 15ks of downwind surfing from that 'top-deck' position is just great fun...yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I will have to talk you into dividing that pool noodle I saw in your shed the other day into two. Thanks gwiz...again yipppeeeee.....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice clip, gwiz. How did you film that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gwiz,

Pictures of your seat set up are very good. Excellent videos. Tom and I need to know: how are you getting those videos.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What type/size video camera do you use on your camera 'boom'?
Have you posted images of the boom you use?
What is your opinion on where the front of the spray shield starts...a distance back from the bow as your is designed...or would you extend
the shield all the way to the bow on your next shield?

A seat question for any forum member...I have ordered an 'I-comfort'
self-inflating seat cushion...supposedly less seat slippage and a higher
position above water on the seat. Does it perform as you hoped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Most definitly, no more numb bum and stays put, there was a slight feeling of instability but don't notice that now.

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

makenmend wrote:
Most definitly, no more numb bum and stays put, there was a slight feeling of instability but don't notice that now.

mm

Does it also help keep your bum dry Makenmend?..Pirate