Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have just about lost your paddle at one time or another then this tip is for you. It will also cure the problem of when it is in its keepers but you want to fold the ama in but can't. The aussie fix is:

Firstly with a phillips screwdriver, loosen the two self tapped screws that hold the retaining strap on the front aka. Then swivel around this retaining strap maximising its length rather than it hiding the screws. Then tighten the screws.
Secondly using 250 mm 2mm or 3 mm ocky strap, tie it around one end of the shaft of the paddle so it can be stretch another centimeter or two. Don't cut off the remainder of the elastic strap as you use this to grab it with.
Place one end of the paddle in the forward aka Hobie strap, the other end, near where the ocky strap has been tied, into its retainer then simply stretch the strap down and around the bolt that is already conveniently below.
The paddle is now trapped and cannot slip out of its retainers. And best of all, there is now enough slack up front to allow the aka and ama to be folded with the paddle still in place.....Pirate :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Pirate,

One picture is worth a thousand words :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love that solution. Why is it always the side with the paddle that I want to fold?

I'm having a galvanic corrosion problem around the paddle strap, where the stainless screws go into the aluminum aka, with a nylon strap right there to help retain salt. It's a recipe for corrosion, and despite vigorous rinsing and some Boeshield T-9, mine now has corrosion spreading out and flaking off paint. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Hey Pirate,

One picture is worth a thousand words :)

And just for you Chris...here is the equivilent of that 1000 words:
Enjoy...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
Love that solution. Why is it always the side with the paddle that I want to fold?

I'm having a galvanic corrosion problem around the paddle strap, where the stainless screws go into the aluminum aka, with a nylon strap right there to help retain salt. It's a recipe for corrosion, and despite vigorous rinsing and some Boeshield T-9, mine now has corrosion spreading out and flaking off paint. :(

mmm...I was surprised too when I looked closely at the fittings to see the aluminium and stainless together which is a recipe for disaser especially in salt water. I have been thinking about that problem of yours Tom and working on the basis that prevention is better than cure, I am thinking it would be worthwhile to drill out the holes slightly and drive a nylon insert in in which to screw into...What do you think?...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if you can get it down under, but there's a product called Tef Gel that is made for this situation. It forms a coating between the two unlike metals. I haven't put it on our boats, but probably should...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tom, I will check with our local bearing supplier who stocks that sort of stuff. If its any good we probably invented it over here...LOL..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
And just for you Chris...here is the equivilent of that 1000 words:

Thanks Pirate, I think I am starting to get it. Now if you could just label the components in the photo.................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For AI owners with older boats without the paddle holder or that frequent rougher waters, this is how I carry my paddle(s).

This setup has gone through 5' waves with no problem (other than a drenched captain!). Where the paddle shaft crosses the aka support, I velcro them together with double-sided velcro for no movement even in rough conditions.

The second paddle (single) has a quick release ball bungee with a 1" strap "handle" which I can have in my hand in less than a second in an emergency or to steer home if I have rudder problems.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good on ya Bob. I knew you would have a solution but can you fold the amas in with the paddles and the spray deflector in place?..I am going to build one of those and am looking for the perfect model..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That was a older picture. We have added additional eyelet posts (#41220001) to each aka about halfway from the existing two on each side. That way we can reach them to release the sides of the sprayskirt to fold in the ama. The full paddle is not in the way of folding in the ama. My single paddle just needs to be released from the aka and pulled in toward the seat and it's out of the way too. I rarely fold in that side but often do the other side (port). My friend Scott releases both sides of the sprayskirt when we break for lunch as he sits on the bow to hook (and detach) us bow to bow after hooking onto a buoy. I'm trying to convince him we need anchor trolley's to do the job for him. :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And..another advantage of my system is when using the boat as a kyak, the paddle is easily secured when not in use by slipping a paddle under the front hatch ocky straps and securing the rear end using the new elastic cord to the boat cleat. Worked a treat for me last night and is very secure. Please don't say you want a picture Chris..Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,

Why not use a ball bunjee? Works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Pirate,

Why not use a ball bunjee? Works for me.

A wot wot???..Pirate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt