Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
Pirate wrote:
...opportunity to see if I could set the trolley up underneath whilst on the water before hitting the launching ramp. ?
When Pirate mentioned "launching ramp" I realized that they are made out of that stuff that runs through your fingers. But here they add a little cement and gravel to it and call it con-crete. Works pretty good with those standard carts!:wink:

We have "con-crete" :wink: too, but mostly for folks with stinkies, or trailer sailers. They can get short tempered at the queues this time of year, and pretty much every day one of them bogs a four wheel drive, and has to wait for someone to come pull him out. That's because the tide will pile up sand even on a "con-crete" ramp. I tend to avoid the hard ramps, except out of season. So this time of year, its across the beach for me.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When you reach up with the cart, you can feel the seam underneath, The scupper holes are on these seams. You just slide the top end of the cart along the near seam until it stops at the hole, swing the other end around and it slips in. A little practice in the Adventure mode (amas off) will make it easier to see what you're doing until you get the hang of it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
When you reach up with the cart, you can feel the seam underneath, The scupper holes are on these seams. You just slide the top end of the cart along the near seam until it stops at the hole, swing the other end around and it slips in. A little practice in the Adventure mode (amas off) will make it easier to see what you're doing until you get the hang of it. 8)

Roadrunner - I notice that you are using the standard cart as opposed to the beach wheels on ours. However I will try your method and see whether I can insert them. Thanks for your posts and clear explaination. 8) :wink: :)
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tell you guys I have come up with a solution that is so simple but will be known as the 'brilliant pirate' solution for decades to come. Got to try it first so can't share it with you until it is proven...I am excited...Pirate :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey,
When fitting the cart I am standing beside the AI, usually in knee deep water and with the ama out.
I have the Trax cart but I use the heavy duty pneumatic wheels most of the time (as posted here: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8956 ).
If I am at the beach I use the Wheeleze balloon tyres. I don't find either type of tyre anymore difficult to fit. The buoyancy of the tyres does make it harder to keep the cart upright and I can see how the less buoyant standard cart wheels would make fitting underwater easier. Roadrunner's use of the hull grooves for guidance is sound advice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take it from me Stringy that it is virtually impossible, following the seam or not, to get the kart with the balloon tyres fitted down and fitted under the boat from an on the boat position. As you say it is not hard from the side when in knee deep water but we want to be able to rock up to the ramp then just disembark and 'grab-hold and go'...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
I tell you guys I have come up with a solution that is so simple but will be known as the pirate solution for decades to come. Got to try it first so can't share it with you until it is proven...I am excited...Pirate :wink: :wink:

PIRATE'S SOLUTION
Balloon tyres are brilliant for walking the AI across sand, down concrete ramps etc. but have two drawbacks:
1. The kart with the balloon tyes is a little unstable when supporting the full Island especially with other gear in the boat.
2. Virtually impossible to get the kart back under the boat and frame into the scuppers whilst still on the water, due to the incredible buoyancy of the wheels. We want this ability as we can then just paddle into the ramp, disembark and walk straight up the ramp with the boat being wheeled behind. Much simpler and cleaner than tilting the rig whilst in knee deep water to get the kart underneath.
Solution: Remove the valves from the tyres and fill each tyre one third with fresh water. This will make it a more stable kart and so much less buoyant making it easy to pop it under the boat whilst still at sea.
Instructions: Remove the valve using a bicycle valve remover. Depress the tyre to exhaust some air, then allow water in via the open valve under a slow running tap. Repeat a few times till you get enough water in. You can check how much water's in the tyre by holding the wheel vertical and rotating the open valve from top to bottom until water begins to run from the valve. As I said just a little more than a third full of water does the job, leaving the kart still buoyant enough to float easily.
Replace the valve after putting a little vaseline on the thread to minimise corrosion, then pump back up to 2 to 3 lbs per sq. foot. Go check it next time you use the boat and adjust the volume of water to suit your needs. I found just slightly more than a third full does it for me. The kart is a little heavier due to the weight of the water, but not excessively. It is definately a more stable base to carry the fully laden Adventure Island. Mickey witnessed the operation today and he was impressed...So will you be if you try it...Pirate

Last edited by Pirate on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not tried this myself yet - simply because I haven't been out on the water since this new Pirate modification was dreamt up!
However I did watch Pirate insert the cart effortlessly under the AI this afternoon prior to landing at the Nicholson River boat ramp (my local ramp). He was in Adventure mode at the time and his subsequent retrieval from the ramp onto land was very elegant. 8) :) :)
I noticed that he had also extended the bow grab line slightly, which helps to prevent scraping the bottom of the boat. :wink:
He has also come up with an interesting addition to his Thule roof racks which makes it possible for him to carry his AI upright - but I'm sure he'll tell you all about it himself :wink:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Pirate wrote:
I tell you guys I have come up with a solution that is so simple but will be known as the 'brilliant pirate' solution for decades to come. Got to try it first so can't share it with you until it is proven...I am excited...Pirate :wink: :wink:

PIRATE'S BRILLIANT SOLUTION
Balloon tyres are brilliant for walking the AI across sand, down concrete ramps etc. but have two drawbacks:
1. The kart with the balloon tyes is a little unstable when supporting the full Island especially with other gear in the boat.
2. Virtually impossible to get the kart back under the boat and frame into the scuppers whilst still on the water, due to the incredible buoyancy of the wheels. We want this ability as we can then just paddle into the ramp, disembark and walk straight up the ramp with the boat being wheeled behind. Much simpler and cleaner than tilting the rig whilst in knee deep water to get the kart underneath.
Solution: Remove the valves from the tyres and fill each tyre one third with fresh water. This will make it a more stable kart and so much less buoyant making it easy to pop it under the boat whilst still at sea.
Instructions: Remove the valve using a bicycle valve remover. Depress the tyre to exhaust some air, then allow water in via the open valve under a slow running tap. Repeat a few times till you get enough water in. You can check how much water's in the tyre by holding the wheel vertical and rotating the open valve from top to bottom until water begins to run from the valve. As I said just a little more than a third full of water does the job, leaving the kart still buoyant enough to float easily.
Replace the valve after putting a little vaseline on the thread to minimise corrosion, then pump back up to 2 to 3 lbs per sq. foot. Go check it next time you use the boat and adjust the volume of water to suit your needs. I found just slightly more than a third full does it for me. The kart is a little heavier due to the weight of the water, but not excessively. It is definately a more stable base to carry the fully laden Adventure Island. Mickey witnessed the operation today and he was impressed...So will you be if you try it...Pirate

I added 2 pints to each wheel and found it possible to insert the cart whilst on water. However I think a bit more water would make it easier - so I am going to add another pint to each wheel & see whether that makes it easier.

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had an opportunity to test this idea several times now and feel it is very worthy solution to the problems of kart stability and re-inserting the kart.
As a last thought on this subject the extra fresh water in the wheels could be used as a 'last resort' freshwater supply back-up if it was urgently needed after the bandicoots raided your other water supplies.. :D Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or, you could use rum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Or, you could use rum!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D Stop it Chris...You'll get Mickey all excited...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
chrisj wrote:
Or, you could use rum!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D Stop it Chris...You'll get Mickey all excited...Pirate

Actually - you've reminded me that there's a fellow down at Gipsy Point who runs boat tours whose real name (I believe he changed it by deed poll) is Roger Rumbottle :lol: :P :P :shock: :lol:
Mickey