Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Darwinian wrote:
Once I buried an ama completely under the water. I quickly turned into the wind because I feared I might capsize. Probably not but it scared me anyway.

The Sydney Hobie dealer tells me they tried to capsize one, by having a fellow stand on the ama. It would not. I have certainly buried mine, and all that happens is you slow down. You can't sink it, and you won't capsize that way. Maybe side on to a five or six foot wave, with the ama buried, and the boat at a very severe angle might do it. But one should be careful in big waves.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got to take mine out Friday the 10th, "shake down Cruise". Many of the common observations, the seat stayed in place for about 50 strokes, then popped out and I squirmed around on it all day. The heel of my size 13 shoe bumped the click & go release levers twice, so it had to be re-seated.The Mirage drive seemed to go in best (effortlessly) in position 5, just like Ron's boat. The biggest hit for me was the Gill drysuit, I don't know why I've avoided those things for SO long, all that spray was a big non issue! It was comfortable enough for me to keep on all afternoon even while washing everything once I got home. Hope to see some of you out there soon! Mark C. in F. W. B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark C., where the hell is F.W.B.? Glad you had a blast with in your new AI with your Dry Suit. I have a wet suit and it works great as long as the water is not too cold. It is around 60 degrees right now.

I went out a couple of days ago in The Big Lagoon in Pensacola Fl. I had a ball. I stayed out about four hours. I took my GPS and recorded several speeds of above 9 mph. Again, as I said in an earlier post, I was surprised at how close I could sail into the wind. I know I was at least 45 degrees, probably even 40 degrees into the wind.

The big drawback was I took on a lot of spray. I stayed wet the whole time. I sailed from the west end of the federal park to the west end, about 5 miles, in less than an hour. I pulled up on the sand and walked across the island. There, on the ocean side, I saw thousands of Portuguese Man of Wars washed up on the beach. I had only seen one or two of these before and this was a real shock too see so many.

Now the weather has turned cold and nasty so it will likely be a few weeks before I can go out again. But I have all summer to enjoy the boat.

My son, traveling back to Saudi Arabia from his repat vacation, traveled through the airport in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There in the airport terminal in Minneapolis, Hobie had an AI set up.

My daughter-in-law wrote,
Quote:
When we were in Minneapolis we saw your hobbie advertised in the airport, they had a big display with the boat sat right there in the airport terminal. It must be the newest and latest thing - have you got it yet?

Yes dear, I have it, and it is not hobbie but Hobie. And I am enjoying it very much.

Ron Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darwinian wrote:
Mark C., where the hell is F.W.B.? Glad you had a blast with in your new AI with your Dry Suit. I have a wet suit and it works great as long as the water is not too cold. It is around 60 degrees right now.

I went out a couple of days ago in The Big Lagoon in Pensacola Fl. I had a ball. I stayed out about four hours. I took my GPS and recorded several speeds of above 9 mph. Again, as I said in an earlier post, I was surprised at how close I could sail into the wind. I know I was at least 45 degrees, probably even 40 degrees into the wind.

The big drawback was I took on a lot of spray. I stayed wet the whole time. I sailed from the west end of the federal park to the west end, about 5 miles, in less than an hour. I pulled up on the sand and walked across the island. There, on the ocean side, I saw thousands of Portuguese Man of Wars washed up on the beach. I had only seen one or two of these before and this was a real shock too see so many.

Now the weather has turned cold and nasty so it will likely be a few weeks before I can go out again. But I have all summer to enjoy the boat.

My son, traveling back to Saudi Arabia from his repat vacation, traveled through the airport in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There in the airport terminal in Minneapolis, Hobie had an AI set up.

My daughter-in-law wrote,
Quote:
When we were in Minneapolis we saw your hobbie advertised in the airport, they had a big display with the boat sat right there in the airport terminal. It must be the newest and latest thing - have you got it yet?

Yes dear, I have it, and it is not hobbie but Hobie. And I am enjoying it very much.

Ron Patterson

Ron - reading your post makes me wonder whether the AI is going to end up being as popular as the humble pushbike is as a recreational pursuit. :roll:
Mickey