Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water in your face
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone with glasses come up with a way to keep the water off of your face? I've had times when my ability to see was limited after a couple water baths. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wear either ski goggles, if you don't need prescription lenses, or handiman goggles if you do, as these fit over the glasses. I had my ski goggles today, wild and wet. Broke a rudder pin too.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You could Rainex your glasses... works a treat on windshields.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geoff wrote:
Wear either ski goggles, if you don't need prescription lenses, or handiman goggles if you do, as these fit over the glasses. I had my ski goggles today, wild and wet. Broke a rudder pin too.

Geoff.

Geoff - apart from the broken rudder pin, it sounds like you were having fun :lol: :wink:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A sprayskirt keeps most of the water off my body and face except for mist. But when close-hauled in waves with short spacing, all bets are off. I keep a squirt bottle of fresh water in the bottle holder (leashed) to wash away salt buildup and spray from the lenses.

When sailing in really "active" waves, I carry swimming goggles that I switch to, since the correction of the glasses only helps if I can see through them. :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
A sprayskirt keeps most of the water off my body and face except for mist. But when close-hauled in waves with short spacing, all bets are off. I keep a squirt bottle of fresh water in the bottle holder (leashed) to wash away salt buildup and spray from the lenses.

When sailing in really "active" waves, I carry swimming goggles that I switch to, since the correction of the glasses only helps if I can see through them. :)

Kayaking Bob

Hey Bob - Pirate & I were out a few days ago in conditions that made me think I was in a cross between a speed boat, a submarine and a surfboard. :!: I had decided to go out without the dodger and I thought I needed to add some other pieces of essential equipment to Pirate's checklist - like goggles and snorkel :P :roll: :lol:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:

Kayaking Bob

A sprayskirt like yours is on my order list next Bob. Unfortunately it will not be the complete answer here on our lakes system as mostly the water depth is shallow that 30 feet and much of it 20 feet and the predominant wind blows up short steep chop which is not much longer if any between waves than our boats lengths. This makes it a very wet ride indeed. However I spent last Thursday with a huge grin on my face as the boat handled the downwind component very well in 20 to 30 knots under full sail. Kept diving into the wave in front and like Mickey was saying felt like a submarine going down but it surfaced again ready to charge down the next wave into the back of another wave. There were times when we were really moving across the water. Not quite as wild when sail reduced in size and more able to steer it down then across the waves preventing the bow from submerging. I have a new camera and will go out again in similar conditions to capture some of the action...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like here. Next time out, you need to practice the turn at the bottom of the waves! :o

Kayaking Bob

turn, turn, turn

Too late...

Hard to photo how big the waves actually are...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking at that last wave, someone has bigger nads than me... :lol:

As far as glasses, I use either Rain X or this Teflon wax works well too. http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail. ... 6%20Polish

Neither one sheets the water completely off, but it's better than nothing. I treat both sides of my lenses. Between that and a piece of a synthetic chamois crying towel I don't know of a better solution.

I'd like to try this Autoglym polish. It looks like it has excellent sheeting action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMiEmv83fBU
However, the video may be misleading as depending upon the mass of the water droplets the above solutions may work as well...can't say for sure though.

Post subject: Thanks Guys
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in Jupiter Florida this week, plenty of scuba diving shops, so I thought I would look for a mask that would fit over my glasses. I would only use it when necessary. Thanks for all your advice! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think you'll be happy with a dive mask. On the plus side you can get one you can swap lenses out and put some in that are close to your perscription. The bad news is you'll end up breathing through your mouth the whole time, so you may end up with a big gulp of water... Then there's the fogging hassle.
Most ski masks are vented so they don't fog, the nose is open, and will keep water out of your eyes...if that's an issue.

However, the biggest problem is with either of the above is you haven't solved anythng, at least in my mind. All you are doing is swapping one lense surface for another. Either way you are going to have to deal with wave splash obscuring your view. You might as well keep your glasses on and figure out a good way to shed the water from them.

Then again maybe there's more to your needs than I see!

I have to tell you, I bought a polarized ski mask that I can fit my glasses in, but I never used it. It's just not comfortable. You've go the head crush thing going on, temple squeeze with your perscription glasses and just a general PITA.

Wait a minute...I found the perfect solution!! :lol:
http://www.tvproducts4less.com/blublock ... %20glasses That's the ticket!

Seriously, good luck in your search.

Post subject: Re: Thanks Guys
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

kayakingglenn wrote:
I'm in Jupiter Florida this week, plenty of scuba diving shops, so I thought I would look for a mask that would fit over my glasses. I would only use it when necessary. Thanks for all your advice! :D

Well maybe someone has made ones specially for folks with prescription lenses, but when I looked at them, because they are designed to seal on your face, they were not any good. And as mentioned, your nose is blocked. Which is why the handyman safety goggles that cost almost nothing work fine.
Can't keep all the spray off, but keeps salt water mostly from hitting the eyes. I have had my eyes sting so much I could not see. I don't find the odd water drop an issue, just a jet of water in the face is the problem. And if you feel the need, you can coat this surface to repel water. These don't fit as tight as ski goggles, so they don't press your own glass frame into your head.

I had hoped that there would be ski goggles designed for folks with prescription lenses, as you have to see pretty well when skiing, where as scuba diving is another matter. You can't see far.

As my lenses are coated to darken in the sun, I would not be willing to apply anything to the surface.

This Starshield Sunglasses is certainly a good option, especially as its tinted. But you will need to tie them on. Which means two sets of ties. And they cost more than my cheap solution.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First off killer shots guys. Barz makes sailing googles they are pricey but my crew liked them back when we were doing the wildthing on my Hobie miracle 20 and he was taking huge face shots.
MRL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LOL guys....Isn't 'water in your face' is what this sport is all about?. It is wet on a windy day, but ooohhhh what great fun..Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys,

Maybe try a SkiGee (like squeegee). I use one skiing in powder or on snowy/wet days.

It goes on your thumb facing the back of your hand and you just drag it across your lenses and it clears them like a squeegee in the servo (gas station for you Yanks) clears the water from washing them off your windshield (windscreen for us Ozzies).

The hole for your thumb is sized for when you have a ski glove on but I don't think that would be an issue.

Google "skigee" - about USD2 to AUD5 from ski shops or on line.

Dave