Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner needs a monument erected to him, either at Hobie headquarters or on the Hobie forums. Roadrunner has, time and time again, provided invaluable advice with pictures for us mere mortal Hobie enthusiasts.

My latest example of the benefits of his efforts has been conversion of the older mirage drive sprockets to the new V2 sprockets. Frankly, when I ordered the sprockets and masts, I really had no idea what I was getting into. But, before I started the project, I called for Roadrunner. Actually, I got on the Hobie forum, did a search on “V2 sprocketsâ€

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Second that....I was half way through rebuilding my spare mirage drive yesterday, thought it would be a doddle. Well, after putting the new sprokets on backwards, the pedal cranks on the wrong way round and all sorts of other sillyness I was finally stumped by the the slot in the drum that receives the the threaded cable end. The threaded section wouldnt go through...well no point in forcing it and anyway it was getting towards sunset, time for a beer!

So, I have what looks to be a round peg to go in a square hole! Roadrunners erudite instructions will make life a lot easier. There are all the answers to all problems in the archives of this forum, well done Chekika for digging this one out out. Why didnt I think of it?!!! Maybe a good thing to do is to keep a ring back folder and print out all these instructions, build your own maintanance manual...of course...have to fix the printer first....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Keith, It looks like your project came out great -- glad to be of help. I'd like to see Hobie publish a "shop manual", not only for those of us who end up doing our own work, but also for the dealers as a reference guide. I notice in the posts, the pictures start to disappear after awhile -- without them it all reads like garble.

Philip, you spell your name the same way as my brother. It sounds like you may have upgraded to the new '08 drums -- did you also get the new style cropped chain/cables (designed for slots)?

If it doesn't start looking better after another beer, let me know! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
It sounds like you may have upgraded to the new '08 drums -- did you also get the new style cropped chain/cables (designed for slots)?

Hi Roadrunner, and once again thanks for the help.

I ordered new chain/cables but they have rounded threads, not cropped!!!! One of the drums is an original the other the new style drum. Oh, hell...its almost sundowner time, I shall just go sit on a rock and sulk/cry into my 6% Thai elephant beer.... :cry:

Philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No not the elephant beer... that won't help.

You need a Darwin Stubby (might have to google that one).

Only one of those and you can fix anything!

Dave (in Australia where they do beer properly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

geocacher wrote:
No not the elephant beer... that won't help.

You need a Darwin Stubby (might have to google that one).

Only one of those and you can fix anything!

Dave (in Australia where they do beer properly)

Dave, I googled it!!!!

Without doubt the most famous Darwin Stubby drinker is Norm the Brahman bull, who smashed the world record for downing the quickest one at the Humpty Doo Hotel in the 1980s.

Norm later died of, er, liver disease.

Thanks but I think I will stick with beere chang!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Philip, it's hard to mistake the new longer cable assemblies for the old versions.

One new drum and one old -- seems they weren't clear which to send and covered all possibilities :wink: . Evidently the beer is flowing freely at your Hobie parts supplier!

After you get the correct parts, here's a link to the assembly:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9610 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Roadrunner needs a monument erected to him, either at Hobie headquarters or on the Hobie forums. Roadrunner has, time and time again, provided invaluable advice with pictures for us mere mortal Hobie enthusiasts.

I couldn't agree more Keith!
Roadrunner, with his how-to's, has provided a much better workshop manual than Hobie ever has. 8) In fact he has given us enthusiasts a better knowledge of the product than most Hobie dealers. Hobie have partially acknowledged this by copying some of his posts in their FAQ support section:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewforum.php?f=21
However not all are there and they could be arranged better to make referencing problems easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Roadrunner, my fault... I quoted the parts number to my dealer and told him thats what I wanted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got it. I woke up this morning and it struck me--the monument to Roadrunner.

Hobie should start a new forum. They could call it, "Upgrade, Maintenance, and Repair According to Roadrunner" Or, they might call it "Roadrunner Says..." or something close.

Then, they would work with Roadrunner to post all his posts on pertinent items on this new forum. Very importantly, they would provide Roadrunner (& the rest of us) with a place to post pictures so they would not disappear with time.

None of this is meant to diminish all the contributions of others such as Reconlon (Kayaking Bob), AlohaDan, Apalach, Yakaholic, etc. Their helpful posts should be put on the new forum also. It is just to recognize Roadrunner for his contributions (and make it easier for us to locate "help" posts.)

If we and Hobie really got into this, Hobie could offer a "Most Helpful Post 20xx" to be awarded annually. It would be voted on by users.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am honored to be grouped in such company.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You fellows are at the top. Thanks to all of you for the help you've provided to beginners and pros alike.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Chekika wrote:
Roadrunner needs a monument erected... at Hobie headquarters

I contacted headquarters today and let them know that nothing fancy would be necessary -- bronze would be sufficient, and perhaps a new car to visit them with occasionally. Oh yes, and a new kayak! They said they'd get back to me -- sounds encouraging! :wink: I don't understand what they were laughing about though... :roll:

Seriously, most of us on the forum have shared tips, experience, methods and ideas, exposed problem areas and explored limitations. I recall, for example the great benefit I received from consulting the "New Rudder up/Down Line" thread where Rio Dan, Chekika and Stringy each built upon the basic instruction to come up with an excellent tutorial that helped make the job easy.

This is a very creative and talented group that builds upon ideas and creates significant improvements. Just a sampling of some things that come to mind -- Yakaholic's "D" topped rudder pin, troubleshooting and fishing techniques; Gwiz's early AI sailing methods equipment insights and spray shields; reconlon's refinements and great equipment tips; Kepnutz' rudder mast and sail work; stringy's rudder mods, sails, carts, roller reefing; Aloha Dan's high speed trolling techniques under sail; Apalach's early outriggers, rigging and equipment experience; norman ernsting's early jib and leeboard development; Chekika's outfitting tips... it just goes on and on!

There is a rich body of knowledge here with which we provide mutual assistance -- and an excellent resource for any who seek. There are certainly a lot of other people's ideas sitting on my boat! Thanks to all here for their generous time an talent and to Hobie for letting us play on their forum!!8)