Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, I'm a long time cat lover that has moved from a couple of 16s to a Nacra 5.2 (liked my hobie better), then to a J-24 / Yamaha 36 (racing and all ) and now back to a J-24 and I happen to have a recently acquired H20 minus sails,daggers,rudder, and other hardware. Basically I have the hull, cross bars, tramp, and a mast. Since I like comfort and speed I've had an idea for years of adding hulls to a J24. My thought are to cut most of the keel off and configure the hull at the correct locations on the J hull and really fly. My question is should I use a broken mast from a larger boat for the cross member and tie into the original hobie spars or what? Any ideas out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it's a nifty idea but to make it trailerable you'd have to be able to remove the 20 hulls from the J/24. You'd also have to figure out where to mount the cross-braces. You could probably make the cross-braces yourself out of foam and carbon fiber, like this guy did with his front crossbar:
http://www.rotkat.com/

Would you replace the keel with a centerboard? That'd probably help with reducing leeway. Anyway, good luck!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your input. I don't have the experience to deal with carbon, and I don't need to trailer the boat I'm on an island and use only one Marina to go everywhere. I thought of removing most of the keel, but leave enough to fiberglass a fixed keel/ceterboard and possible use daggers on the Hobie hulls when pointing. Question, would you use water stays attached to the outer hulls to the mast to reduce the load on the cross bars or ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe? I dunno though, I'm not an engineer, but I can see how that would help. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sounds kind of heavy to me. Figure out what the all up weight will and and compare it to an F24. I think that Hobie 20 hulls will have a hard time staying high enough to help out too much, they are not the most bouyant hulls. Compare them to the F24s after you come up with a go one the entire weight of the boat.

As for the connection. I think that there are few small boat masts that would suffice for a crossbeam for your boat. They are all pretty bendy, on purpose. They have to be able to be adjusted by mere mortals. You may have to look for a big boat mast if that is the path you would like to take. I do not know where to look for one.

Seems to me that the J24 is also a very wide boat to be using for a center hull on a trimaran. I used to sail one and they are like corks on the water. You may want to cut the middle out and make it narrower as well.

Too much thinking my brain hurts.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The real question is, do you want to sail or build/design a safe boat? Building a boat is a time consuming task. It sounds like you are tinkering with what could be a slow, unsafe, expensive boat. The J-24 hull is too wide (slow) and heavy (slow) to make this work well even if you built it to a standard that was safe. Buy an F-27, put the H-20 back together and now you have two safe, fast, professionally built boats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sounds like a neat project, let me tell you about mine and you can decide what to do from there. I had a Sunfish that I wanted to make faster. I gave it a real mast with a forstay, shrouds, backstay. I gave it a sloop rig with an asymetric spinaker. I gave it a custom built by me centerboard and rudder. I took it out and could not keep it up in anything above ten knots. I added a trapeze and let me tell you, it was one fast boat. It so fast my head hurt from hitting the water when the poor little sunfish hull broke in two at the mast. Long story short, using used parts and providing my own labor I spent many of hours at hard work and close to 2000.00 for about twenty minutes of fun. Thanks to ebay I recouped some of that money. Was it worth it, sure I learned alot and had twenty minutes on a sailboat that was twelve feet long and as fast if not faster than my Hobie 18. Would I do it again.....hell no.