Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Worlds
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone have any news?
It's getting kind of late for a 2009 Hobie 16 Worlds.
Are we going to 2010?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dear Council,

It is with deep regret that the IHCA Executive announces there will not be a Hobie 16 World Championship in 2009. The IHCA Executive, proposed hosts and manufacturers have worked diligently on several different sites but were not able to finalize any of the bids. Most recently a possible bid for Italy was being worked on but unfortunately the world economic downturn has made it impossible for the IHCA to guarantee a world class event that our sailors expect.

While there will not be a Hobie 16 Worlds for 2009 already we have received inquiries for hosting a 2010 Hobie 16 World Championship. The IHCA has also received a very strong bid for the Hobie Tiger and Dragoon Worlds for 2010. When more information has been formalised we shall let the members know on the IHCA web site www.hobieclass.com Please let me know if there is any further interest in your area as we are now taking bids for 2010.

The European Hobie Class Association has now announced that they will incorporate the Hobie 16 in their European Championships. The Hobie Europeans will be from 1 until 8 August 2009 at Lake Como in Italy . We would like to thank the European Hobie Class Association for now including the full Hobie 16 racing in their championships. For full information on the European Hobie Championships will be found at their web site http://www.ehca.hobieclass.com

For overseas participants a limited number of charter boats will be available.

Regards

David

An announcement will go on the IHCA web site in 24 hours as well as the next newsletter.

David Brookes

Executive Director

International Hobie Class Association

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does this mean the 16 NA's going back to AZ for the HAVAMEGA in November? No need to move it up in the schedule to Kingston since the worlds in Italy aren't going to happen. Wasn't that the original reason to have a separate 16 NA? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tigerboy1 wrote:
Does this mean the 16 NA's going back to AZ for the HAVAMEGA in November? No need to move it up in the schedule to Kingston since the worlds in Italy aren't going to happen. Wasn't that the original reason to have a separate 16 NA? Just curious.

The can of worms has officially been opened :!:

It is going to be pretty hard to reverse the decision now(I would hope).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tigerboy1 wrote:

NO
It was clear in the meeting that the worlds was not a done deal but that once CORK was chosen we needed to stick to it no mater what happened with the worlds.
It’s a done deal. The NA’s are at Kingston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BobMerrick wrote:
Tigerboy1 wrote:

NO
It was clear in the meeting that the worlds was not a done deal but that once CORK was chosen we needed to stick to it no mater what happened with the worlds.
It’s a done deal. The NA’s are at Kingston.

Thanks Bob I can breathe again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the CORK event is in stone. It was set up with the thought that the Worlds was in play, but regardless, we shouldn't back peddle on this and go with the schedule as it is. It is smarter to have the 16s seperate from the rest of the Mega event in case of crap weather.
This is a pretty big suprise to me and others and all I can do is apologize for outcome. I wouldn't have thought this possible if you would have asked me last week.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Chris no big deal Worlds or no Worlds I was, and still am going to Kingston.