Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike I checked it out and found that if I used it as a boom, it would clear the pedals but not my toes. So I took your advice. I simply added a three and a quarter inch piece of PVC below the section I was using as a base for the boom/whisker pole. I also took three quarters of an inch off the top of the piece I was using to make sure it did not touch the sail.

Now it clears even my toes plus I think it has a better angle to the sail, being much closer.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron,
Glad you had an easy fix. It's nice to see someone else has gone to the darkside and installed a boom. Let me know how it goes. I have been much happier with the sail shape since I installed it. When you are sailing off the wind you can just reach up and pull down on the boom to simulate a boom vang to see if you think the change in sail shape will be benificial to you. I am hoping for a bit more wind this week end myself to continue to ring the bugs out on my system.
Lots of Luck,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Mike, I already have a boom vang, ready to use. When going dead downwind, or almost so, I ill simply pass it under the forward aka and cleat it to the small cleat beside the seat. But when sailing closer to the wind....well I haven't figured that one out yet. I will just have experiment with that but I don't think I will have any problem with cleating it down somewhere.

I sat my AI up in my yard and pointed it dead downwind. Then without the boom, the sail would do nothing. I simply cold not get it to hold wind at all. It kept wrapping around the mast. Then I installed the boom, along with the boom vang and it worked wonders. The wind suddenly grabbed the AI and swung it around before I could react. Scared the crap out of me but nothing was damaged. Here is a picture I was snapping just as the wind caught it and began spinning it around. You can see the boom vang attached.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

very cool. It is amazing the additional power gained by projecting the sail area and reducing the twist. I just my new lines and blocks from APS looking forward to tweeking the rig some more and takeing her for a spin. It's to bad you are on the right coast and I am on the left coast hooking up and doing some sailing together would be fun.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LOL! Funny yard sailing shot! I've gotta get a boom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will try and post some more details of the parts that make up my system this weekend.

Post subject: Boom or Whisker Pole.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went out again today, February 9th. Lots of wind, about 15 to 20 mph all day in the Big Lagoon, Pensacola Fl. First time I had a chance to test my boom/whisker pole. I went out about ten days ago but no wind. Good wind today but the water was cold.

Anyway I had a good chance to test my boom/whisker pole. I found that it gave virtually no advantage when used as a boom, however it had a tremendous advantage advantage when used as a whisker pole. Going dead downwind, or within 45 degrees of dead downwind it worked fantastic. But anything outside that angle it was just in the way, a real hassle to deal with.

So I will continue to carry and use my whisker pole but will not use it unless I am within 45 degrees , (approximately of course), of dead downwind.

Anyway, I had a great time. The air temperature was about 65 degrees. I had my wet suit on and did not get cold but it would have been better if the air and water temperature was a little warmer. That is coming however, within a few weeks.

Ron Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron,
Sounds like my day had about the same breeze as yours only colder. Air temp Low sixties water mid to low fifties and a short chop with some swells thrown in. In this stuff a dry suit and polar fleece kept the day very confortable. I came away with a different opion of the boom, I found it helpfull up wind and down. I was activly playing the vang on all points of sail except beating. It would have been nice to have some one to pace with to see if the advantage is real or just in my head.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a diverse world we all live in Ron and Mike. You may have been reading of the horrific bush fires we are experiencing over here. Last Sunday here was our hottest on record at 122 degrees on your scale with the week prior being over 104 degrees on most days. The temperatures in the local rivers and bays are over 70 degrees though today's air temperature is a cooler 75 degrees.
Incidentally re your whisker pole set-up, I am running a very simple light multiplait 5mm line from the clew on the leech of the sail (actually clipped onto end of the furler rope at the knot) around the mushroom button on the rear leaward ama, and back to the cockpit. This simply flattens out the sail generally and the foot exposing more sail area. On a down wind run and very broad reach whilst sailing beside Mickey, my boat would have at least another knot on his in all conditions. I don't think the pole would do enough more to warrant the inconvenience of having it aboard....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OH! I am doing same, must have been reading the same 'tips' I followed someones advice and just put a bungee thru the clew ring and then a hook on the end of my line...which then goes round the wee stud on the aka and back to 'moi'....very good for downwind. I agree the less the better on your boat...already busy enough in the cockpit! K.I.S.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First Pirate your countrymen are in all our thoughts. In South Cal we have had our share of wild fires but nothing on your scale. I am still a boom guy maybe I just like getting wacked upside the head to keep me focused