Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mast receiver
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have any of you had to fit an old style (07) mast receiver into a 09 hull. Looks like the 07 receiver is WIDER at the base than the hole bored into the deck of the 09 hull....AND it tapers out. Someone must have been down this route before and I would appreciate some tips as to how they enlarged the diameter of the hole. My inclination is to trace the circumference of the hole in my 07 hull over the hole in the 09 hull, drill holes just inside the tracing line and then rasp down the edges until I get a smooth circle...sound reasonable??? Also how did the 07 receiver seat in the 09 hull looks like the base on the 07 receiver is slightly different from the 09 receiver. I would have posted this to hobie aus but its the weekend coming up and who knows one of you geniuses may be able to get me sailing before monday!!!!!

Philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"of you geniuses may be able to get me sailing before monday!!!!!

:cry: :cry: Looks like your a landlubber till Tuesday Phil..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking that way isnt it....where are all you guys when I need you :?: :roll: Never mind I will email the long suffering Hobie Aus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

COME ON....I know your there!!!!!!! Let's have the benefit of your indubitable genius!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, haven't done it here. Thought about it with a new hull on it's way, but decided to get a new mast instead. You may be the first to do it. Be sure to document and post your results for the rest of us. Good luck.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank You Bob! I shall see what Hobie advise and most certainly post any alterations I make onto the forum. I think your idea of a new mast is an excellent one....maybe thats the advice Hobie will give me. Originally when looking into the problem the told me the best cheapest/thing to do would be to swap receivers....I think they forgot about the differing hole diameters in the deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have made my hole in the deck and the receiver is in place but its base is resting on the lugs in 1/8 clear of the bilge bracing it doesnt move it down any further. Should the receiver lie flush to the bilge? I always assumed so

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... seated.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sorry I will try that again
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... seated.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

...and before any bright spark writes in and tells me to remove the compass from inside the hull...its there as a reference :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Should be bolted down tight in the keel.

Make adjustments to the "V" frame to adjust fit at mast retainer clip once fully bolted in.

The boats are all a little different. The "V" frame adjusts this out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:10 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Matt

What should the clearance be between the bottom of the rim of the furling drum (Tom's #2 in posts on

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 3457#63457

and the mast holder bearing with the plastic balls?

I have put this question in both threads so the answer can bring both to a conclusion..

Thanks

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Should be bolted down tight in the keel.

Make adjustments to the "V" frame to adjust fit at mast retainer clip once fully bolted in.

The boats are all a little different. The "V" frame adjusts this out.

Hi Matt

Bolted down tight in the keel it is, but bolted in tight and touching the keel on the underside it is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:29 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Bolted down tight in the keel it is, but bolted in tight and touching the keel on the underside it is not

??????

Don't you mean "Bolted down tight in the keel it is, but bolted in tight and touching the deck on the underside it is not.

How much slack (amount of space left on the bolt for the nut to be tightened) does the nut have that holds the upper yoke fitting to the underside of the deck?

By extending the yoke arms you should be able to tighten the nuts down, both the two upper ones, and single on the bottom that holds the receiver in position.

Once those nuts are tightened you can then eyeball the space between the underside of the drum rim and the mast holder bearing adjusting with the yoke arms . But as I asked Matt what should that distance be?[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

AlohaDan wrote:
Bolted down tight in the keel it is, but bolted in tight and touching the keel on the underside it is not

??????

Don't you mean "Bolted down tight in the keel it is, but bolted in tight and touching the deck[/b] on the underside it is not.

Hi Dan,

I put my receiver in through the hole in the deck and it seated on the bolt that comes up thru the keel. the bolt protrudes thru the hole at the base of the receiver 1/4" this provides enough thread to take both the base of the V brace and the nut that screws down on top. The nut lies flush to the top of the bolt once tightened BUT the UNDERSIDE of the mast receiver remains clear of the INSIDE of the keel by 1/8" Tightening up the braces on either side does not push the receiver any further down into the keel...and I am sure the receiver is down TIGHT onto the two lugs that position it in the keel. To be certain I will remove the receiver, measure the depth of the hole in its base mark that off against the threaded bolt that comes out from the lug and if i am left with 1/4" on the bolt over my mark I will KNOW I am seated correctly on the lugs.

Regarding the neccesity of adjusting the braces to lift or lower the deck I understand....but I am not there yet.

Even without the braces with the receiver seated on the bolt coming through the hull the flange at the top seats into the hole in the deck perfectly, if I were to have the receiver right down against the inside of the keel it would pull the deck area around the hole down 1/8".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm 
Hobie Team Member

OK I understand now.

Both receivers I have used never set all the way down.[/i]