Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rhodes 19 sailboat vs AI
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So today I took a rhodes 19 sailboat out on hickam harbor, winds started out 10-15 kts (couple white caps) and picked up to a steady 15 kts (consistent white caps), with gusts of 20 or so. I took my handheld gps just to try and see how much faster this boat is compared to an AI.....

Not all that much faster, if it is at all. I'm not a pro sailor, I've got about 20 hrs on this boat, plus about another 20 hrs of sailing on other boats. When I clocked us close hauled it was about 6 mph early on, when the wind picked up maybe 7 mph. I did clock us around 6.5 to 7 on a downwind run during the heavier wind. It might have peaked at 7.5 to 8 when close hauled, but I wasn't measuring then because my gps was just sitting on the deck and we kept heeling up and it would slide around, almost fell into the water once.

I've heard the AI does 5-6 mph in 10 to 15, and heard reports of 8+ mph. The rhodes is a lot dryer, but the AI is going to be a lot more stable. The rhodes isn't portable either, unless you got a truck and trailer and willing to pay ramp fees, etc....

And you can't fish from the rhodes either! The AI seems to be a hands down winner to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Rhodes isn't exactly a high performance sailboat. I think the portsmouth rating is something above 100....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

haha, yeah, I'm just pointing out that the AI is a decent sailboat. For some reason I had it in my mind that the Rhodes and other sailboats in that ball park were going to be twice as fast or more than the AI. I was happy to see the AI is pretty close to the same speed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Finally got my 09 AI and took it out on Hickam Harbor for a comparison run. My girlfriend also sat in the back, we had a combined weight about 340 lbs. Sat a little lower in the back but really no noticeable difference. Winds were less than when I took the Rhodes 19 out, probably around 10mph. With the two of us in there I was able to get up to about 4mph on close to beam reaches, and about 3mph on everything else. Downwind was about 2 to 2.5 mph. This was with the mirage drive in and the flippers held against the hull with the elastic band hook.

I could peddle about 4mph and paddle (a little awkward) at about 3mph. I found it easiest to paddle with the rudder up because you can't steer the rudder with hands in use.

I tried a sprint with the peddles and got up to 5mph but probably couldn't hold that for any length of time. With just me it might be doable. Also, I just have the standard fins.

The boat is great fun and I can't wait to do some fishing from it!

Post subject: 2009 AI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howzit Jolly Green,
Congratulations on your AI.Where did you get your's from? I've been waiting for the 2009 from WW boats, Lorraine had said they didn't have any yet. I am getting one soon. 2008 or 2009, I don't care. Kayak fishing is a blast, and sail fishing even better. We launch from Hickam occasionally. Can't p.m. on this forum, but post here and maybe we can hook-up and go.
Mahalo,
Leonard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey happy to help out, send me a pm over on www.aquahunters.com under the forum, I'm jollygreen on there as well. I just don't want my email out where spam bots can easily troll it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey JG, do you fishing guys with AIs do it with or without amas?..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have not fished from it yet, but I've heard of people fishing from it in all modes. Ill probably take along a rod and reel next weekend and just troll a lure around. Still getting used to the boat and all the stuff that needs to be secured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Everyone that I know of that fishes from an AI, normally does so with amas.

Here's my setup:

It's nice having all that space next to me, instead of in my lap and stuffed in the hatch.
(Notice the drive across the gunnels, discussed yesterday)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh man those are some sweet mods! How is the rod holder attached? I see one end goes in the fishing rod hole and you have it tied to the aka brace, is it attached to the boat forward of those two? Do you use that on both sides? I need more details!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, when your over on Maui, we need to fish together. :)

One end is in the molded-in rod holder, and velcroed to the aka support. But look close, there is a spectra line to a loop to go over the plastic cleat. Works well, as I can see the rod out of the corner of my eye as I look ahead. It's right out from my shoulder. Also, lower to the water and out of the way of the sail.

I usually troll with two rods, one in the other molded rod holder, just don't turn too tight. Even with one line longer and one shorter, I've tangled lines a few times. :oops: Too easy to forget and turn a tight 90 degrees to continue sailing, instead of an easy arch.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like you reinforced it too! How did you do that? Looks like maybe sliding a smaller diameter tube inside the bigger one...What diameter pvc did you use for this stuff? I'm definitely building one or something similar for mine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used 1 1/2" PVC for in the molded rod holder (largest that would fit), then an adapter to 1 3/4". All the rest is 1 3/4" PVC which accepts all of my rods.

If you notice at the bottom, the SS bolt. It acts as a gimble, to hold the rod (and reel) upright.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your fishing setup always makes me grin, Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JollyGreen wrote:
I have not fished from it yet, but I've heard of people fishing from it in all modes. Ill probably take along a rod and reel next weekend and just troll a lure around. Still getting used to the boat and all the stuff that needs to be secured.

Thanks Bob and others, as usual a fantastic reply. I would love to just use the kyak only mode but am a bit afraid of turning it *rse up and losing all my gear including rods. Is this an acquired skill or is always a gamble?....Pirate