Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I are looking to try and do some fresh water sailing. I know RoadRunner likes Hodges. Any local knowledge availible.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:35 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hodges is a great place to sail. Best time is after 11am in the summer time. This time of year the winds tend to be light, but best in the pm and in changing weather.

The lake is open Wed, Sat, and Sun. Kayaks are $2. If you are launching by cart go to the old ramp (red line) at #1 above and launch right from the beach or dock. If space is available you can park right there on the old ramp near the dock (pictured)

If not, the large parking lot near by (yellow circle) is best. If you launch by trailer, follow the green line to the end of the road and find the large ramp (seen below in front of the AI). Parking is a bit more of a walk though.

Typically, your two best areas for sailing are close to the large launch ramp -- flat water and decent wind; or up toward the dam past the project on your right where the old wind surfing area is.

You never know what will show up at Hodges....

Hope to see you there! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys are bringing back some memories. I lived behind Mt Carmel HS from 1994 to 1998 and I used to hike and shore fish at Lake Hodges. I believe it was a no motor zone back then so I never saw a floating car putting around.

There used to be an undeveloped area on the south east corner of the lake that you could get a vehicle into and with a pair of beach wheels you could get your AI or yak to the water. Please don't tell me it is all houses now because I used to enjoy walking the area.

I loved So Cal but it was expensive to live and most of my friends worked more than one job to keep up. When I went to work for the airlines I moved to Ft Lauderdale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks much. This is perfect. We are currently targeting going down there Feb 29th
Thank,
MIke