Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are a few scheduling things with the North Americans that we should be trying to achieve.

The Youth North Americans should always be in the summer so kids don’t need to miss school.

The Women and Youth North Americans should always be separate from the Open North Americans. I think we would get more turnout to these events, particularly the women, if they were separate. With a combined event most women (and youth) sail 8 days in a row assuming they do both. I think that’s a bit too much and discourages some from doing both events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also feel that the Open North Americans should be at the same time each year,and it should be in the middle of summer(late July or early August).This is a model that the Europeans and Australians use.The summer event allows kids to crew for there parents and having it at the same time allows adults to plan there holiday time.

Post subject: Event timing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike
I do like the idea of the summer event too but I know some venues aren't available in the summer. Still I think it is a good goal to encourage summer events, particularly for the 16 class as that seems to attract more families.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with TK the warm water events are the most fun,

Daytona

Fort Walton ( but not in September when there is no wind)

By the way, congratulations Tom on your win at Tradewinds! Do you think they could host a large event, the sailing there is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Results are coming in fast for the poll on the 2010 N.A. site.Florida and Texas are leading canditates with a strong bid for San Diego.The HCA is trying hard to find locations that please the masses,so if you are a Hobie Class member you should have recieved an e-mail.Take a minute and send out a reply and let us know what you would like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the MAIN question: You guys DON'T WANT THE WOMEN AND YOUTH events at the same time as the Open, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have any objection to combining the youths and womens events with the H16 open. Actually I encourage it, we need to wear down the youths, they're getting way too fast. I only object to the H14 and H16 together, after 8 days of racing in a row stamina is no problem but I lose my sense of humor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

xanderwess wrote:
Here is the MAIN question: You guys DON'T WANT THE WOMEN AND YOUTH events at the same time as the Open, right?

In the past the women have not been happy with an 8 day format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FLEET 178, Fort Walton Beach, Florida request an opportunity for hosting the 2010 HOBIE 16 North Americans (one design catamaran sailing) here along these beautiful soft white sands in clear warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico panhandle coast of Florida. Many Hobie catamaran events have been held here in Fort Walton Beach including the 2002 Hobie Mega Event. Attached is a letter for consideration:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

San Diego has also steped up and indicated that they are interested in hosting the N.A's.Feel free to e-mail and let me know what your thoughts are on these sites or others that you have interest in.I will put it all together in a week or two and send it off to the higher powers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

Are you SURE that the San Diego fleet has expressed an interest, or has someone ELSE expressed an interest in having the event in San Diego.

Last year at the AGM, someone outside of the San Diego fleet expressed that same interest for doing the event there in 2009, when in fact the San Diego Fleet had ZERO interest in hosting the event in 2009.

I would want to hear from the commodore of the fleet BEFORE I would let the idea of having the NAC's there gain much traction.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its a good rumor. The contacts I have in SD are roughing out a proposal.
Now, I have done some looking around and this is what I found: Daytona Beach Florida, Gaveston Texas. These places have the most consistant wind (beaufort scale? what the hell is that anyway???) and the best temps for the suggested timeframe of SUMMER for the 16s. I went to www.windfinder.com and came up with this. I defy ANYONE to find a windier, warmer place than Gavleston in the months of June/July/August.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Randy, Thanks.

As Far as the possibility of a large event in the Keys. The facility can handle it, but you have to have the locals on board with it. Barb and Chip Short are huge in Tradewinds. Of course, Rick & Mary would be great assets if you could get them on board. Get Steve Lomeyer invlved and anything is possible.

You would neeed some dealer support and be able to put the event in a "quote" off time of the year.

When I retire to parts South, maybe that would be a nice regatta to work on making happen.

You know the A cats have a very large race out of Islamorada on the ocean side(at the Islander, a first class resort) every year. It is a perfect H16 venue. I think they even ran an 80+ boat Worlds there.

It is possible, but you need support.

T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Guys,

I know this is a H16 discussion ... and I sail/campaign a H18 ....

But my observation is that if you have the NA's someplace at the extreme edges of the north american continent it becomes a one-sided event. With the current economic conditions/realities in this country, I would suggest someplace "central" ... equally distant from either "major" coast so that as many people possible have the time and $$$$'s to travel to the event. The next big issue is the cost of accommodations .... so while I would like to stay at some fancy BIG resort, (+$150.00/day) I just can't afford it. So until this economy "turns around" I would recommend a place a competitor can camp at ... or at least has rooms availible for under $100.00/day.

And doesn't Div6 need some help .... maybe a NA's could/would help rebuild Div6.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject: Re: 2010 hobie 16 N.A's
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2 cents: Fort Walton Beach, Florida; Galveston Island, Tx; or Lake Texoma, Tx. Lake Texoma was an excellent venue for the combined H20 & H18 NA's. Plenty of beach, cabins for rent, and a pretty decent lake for sailing. Fort Walton has fantastic beach conditions and there's plenty of reasonable lodging. Galveston Island just got hit hard by a huricane...would make good P.R. but not sure how much support there is for an event.

H16 NA's should include the Youth and Women prior to the Open. This allows travel to an inclusive venue. We would rather take an extra 3 days for Angie to compete in the women's and then the open, than try to travel to a unique venue for one or the other.

"Work Hard, Play Hard, Respect People & Love your Family"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next