Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Advice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy folks,

Hope all had a great 4th. I have recently purchased a '79 Hobie 16. I have been on the water about a half-dozen times so far and am really enjoying the Hobie.

I've been pouring over the "Catamaran Sailing from Start to Finish" by Phil Berman and have found it full of good advice....the best so far are back-winding the jib for tacks, and how to get out of "Irons". Thanks Phil...

Anyway, my jib didn't come with battens, but has batten pockets. I also have the old-style jib sheet blocks (the ones with the springs). The owner before me installed quick release snap shackles for the jib at the forestay adjuster and at the jib clew blocks.

Here's the problem. When sailing close-hauled, the jib really snaps a bunch, I believe it's the leach edge of the jib. I've experiemented with different traveler track locations, but in general I run them in close to the main tacking, and further out reaching and in heavy wind. I haven't yet tried anything but the center hole in the jib clew plate, but it seems that the lower edge of the jib is never under much tension...

I'm wondering if the snap shackles are allowing too much slack in the lower edge of the jib, or maybe I just need battens.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If folks think it's the missing battens, again which battens to get for a recreation sailer would be appreciates.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16, w/snapping jib and only one capsize to date...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Please forgive all the typos....that sore left hand really hurts my typing.

Guess I need to try that "preview" button...

Dan

Post subject: Battens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
Glad to hear your out there sailing, that's what counts. Anyway, all catamarans must have battens in order to go fast and maintain their high aspect ratio. Therefor I reccomend ordering or buying special cut to size battens from your nearest sailboat (preferrably Hobie) dealer. Then purchase a set of snap back jib batten ends from the Hobie catalog or from the same shop. I have an '82 and have not had that problem at all. Try with battens and then compare. It should be worlds ahead. Also buy the batten tentioner ropes and caps. The new battens and other things will likely help greatly. In fact I'm surprised you were actually able to sail without the jib battens. Jibs on 16 are essential like you said and the battens are equally as important. I hope you have battens in your main too! Anyway have a great sail,

Orion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Orion,

Many thanks for the reply. Given your advice, I'm planning to order a Hobie batten set, and the caps. I also plan to get a set of the hinges as a friend with a Hobie 16 speaks highly of them as well. Once I have them installed, I'll post a reply on how it goes.

FYI, I do have battens in the main, and have replaced the original luff and leach caps, and the main seems to hold its shape well, both in low and high winds.

Thanks again.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16, soon to have Jib Battens and Hinges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Folks,

Well, this weekend I attempted to fabricate my own jib battens. I wanted to see how the jib worked with battens before ordering the Hobie units. I used 6 foot pieces of 1/4" fiberglass rod (driveway markers). I cut them to length, and drilled a smal 1/8" hole in the leach end, and tied them in place. Abount 1/2" of the rod extended beyond the leach. I spent a whole $20 on the setup. About

I tried the jib yesterday in some really light wind, but the jib hangs up on the mast in a really big way. I can hardly get it to go around by pusing on it when standing on the tramp. The leach end of my jib extends back beyond the mast. Is this normal of a 16....I've heard they have problems with the jib crossing around the mast when tacking.

Maybe those hinges in the catalog are the way to go.....but with factory battens and the hinges, I'm worried the leach end of the jib is going to hang up on the mast... How far back does the jib leach extend on other folks 16s? Could I have some other problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Dan
Yeah my jib really hangs up on the mast as well it honestly is pretty annoying. Um Like you I have a really old boat and if you still have the orignial sails I would think that the jib woudlent be a problem at all when tacking. I just put all new sails on my cat last year and noticed that the jib is a new shape than the old ones. My old jib would just barly touch the mast each time and made beautiful tacks, The new sail really hangs up on the mast kinda pisses me off actually :) any way ive heard you need to really cut the battons down a bit more or get those hinges for it. Not sure why they chagned the shape of the sail I liked the old one better but I guess for racing or somethign the new jib is better. Any way that is my two cents about it any way and the info that I have acquired on teh same problem. Im going to give those hinges a try some time I think they are supposed to be pretty slick if you get them let me know how they turn out for ya ive still got ot come up with the cash to re rig my boat with new lines. oh by the way did that 79 come with trapieze lines and harnesses?
I have to put hose on mine as well which is going to be pricey im thinking. Any way hope that helps.
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apart from trimming the battens right down, I also run the main halyard around the shrouds and trapeze wires once the main is up. This brings the halyard around to the side of the mast and reduces the chances of the battens catching on the tacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found that the problem with hanging up jib battens primarily occurs in light wind. In heavier air, that shouldn't be as much of a problem. Another option for you, if you are not racing, are the Hobie light wind battens - they are very flimsy so hold sail shape OK, but will bend around the mast more than the heavier ones. When I purchased my boat, it had a few of them on the jib, but I ultimately replaced them with normal battens. Trimming batten ends down as much as possible helps and using the halyard catchers to keep the halyards out of the way also help alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the replies.....much appreciated.

Guess I'm going for the stock Hobie Jib Battens and definitely the Hinges.

It would be interesting if there are different vintages (meaning shape) for the Hobie 16 jib. Mmiller....any comments?

Thanks again. More when I try the new hardware...

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey dan hold off on those hinges!! um go look at my thread bout the shrouds I posted some stuff there about the hinges as well it came up :) So I just threw it in buy any way yeah dont buy them.
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Lee,

I saw the other advice in the other post....thanks. No hinges...!

Thanks.

Dan