Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are retiring later this year and moving to our canal home in the Florida Keys. I am considering purchasing a Getaway for my wife and I to sail. I have some sailing experience and enjoyed renting a Hobie 16 and a Prindle 18 in the past. We used to own an Oday 23, but want something more "fun" this time. We also want the ability to take out family, including grandkids and friends when they visit. Do members feel the Getaway will meet our needs?

Since we will be living on a canal with indirect access to a harbor and the ocean, we must be able to motor out to open water. This will require an outboard bracket and outboard motor. I am looking at the Honda 2hp, since it only weighs 27lbs. Is 2hp enough to move the Getaway at say 5mph and what type of bracket would be best suited for it?

We will also need a way to launch a Getaway from our yard. The drop at the dock, depending on tide, can be anywhere from 6 inches to 3 feet. Can a Getaway be lifted with a davit? Does it have lifting rings or can they be installed? Have owners used a trailer type device to launch Hobies from their yards, then winch them back up? I really need your advice and suggestions on launching and retrieving.

Thanks,
Vic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not having a Getaway, I can't answer all your questions, but here are a couple...

Vic Holmstrom wrote:
Since we will be living on a canal with indirect access to a harbor and the ocean, we must be able to motor out to open water. This will require an outboard bracket and outboard motor. I am looking at the Honda 2hp, since it only weighs 27lbs. Is 2hp enough to move the Getaway at say 5mph and what type of bracket would be best suited for it?
I know there is a motor bracket available for sale but I'm not sure where exactly. I think a 2HP motor would be plenty to push the Getaway along at a decent clip. You might also consider an electric fishing motor as a lighter alternative. :)

Quote:
Have owners used a trailer type device to launch Hobies from their yards, then winch them back up? I really need your advice and suggestions on launching and retrieving.

Not sure about the davit thing, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't build some sort of carriage from your yard down to the water with a winch. Sounds like a neat project, actually. :)

Good luck!

Jim

Post subject: Need Advice-Launching
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live on a lake where the water level varies from 18" to 3 feet below the bulkhead which is about 8 inches thick and concrete. Using 2 X 12's, I built a cap over the top of the bulkhead, 8 feet wide. I then built a ramp using pressure treated 2 X 10's and 2 X 4's as cross pieces. Looks kind of like a ladder, 8 feet wide and 8 feet tall. I then put a pair of 2 X 10's on the vertical face of the bulkhead (in the water) and ran a pair of 2 X 4 braces from the foot of the vertical piece out toward the middle of the ramp. I tied the ramp to the bulkhead cap with long gate hinges to allow for some movement caused by chop. I found I needed guides on each side to keep the boat straight as I bring it up the ramp. I used 1 1/2 PVC pipe and made a frame on each side of the ramp. I then went about 30' up my yard and placed a pressure treated post in the ground and bolted a boat trailer winch about 4 feet off the ground. I keep the boat in the yard with the stern hanging slight over the edge of the bulkhead. When ready to launch, I merely push the boat back until it's balance carries it down the ramp. Remember to do 2 things before launch. Pull out several feet of cable from the winch before you launch. Makes recovery easier. Second, make sure you have a line tied to the boat as it slides into the water. It can sometimes Getaway ;-) from you. When ready to recover, I tie a line around the base of the mast then a loop through the winch cable hook. You only have to pull the boat half way up the ramp before it will gently fall into a horizontal position. Pull it a few feet farther and you are done. I usually pull the drain plugs out as they clear the water in order to allow any excess water to drain. I can easily launch and recover by myself. I started my ramp for a Wave and had to make it wider to accept the Getaway. The guides were added for the Getaway. One of the most important additions.

Hope this helps,

Pete!!!

Post subject: Launch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I forgot. My neighbor has a small 12 volt electric winch. I am considering adding it to my post. All I will need to do then is push a button to crank the boat up.

Sincerely, Pete!!!

Post subject: Launch
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Pete.

Does your ramp actually extend out over the lake or are you able to lift the bows onto the ramp's edge over land, then winch it up?

My narrow canal may not allow me to leave something extended into the water permanently, but I may be able to use your design to build a ramp over land with enough slope to allow the boat to launch easily, then use a winch to retrieve.

Do you think rollers would help, or is the Getaway light enough to drag over pressure treated wood? What do you thing the ideal slope would be for easy launch and recovery?

Thanks again,
Vic

Post subject: Ramp
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Vic,

My ramp extends out about 8 feet from the bulkhead at about a 30 degree angle to the water. I just have to get the bows started onto the ramp then hook the bow line to the winch cable and I crank it up the ramp. My winch is just like one you would use on a boat trailer. The boat weight is just under 400 pounds and you would probably have difficulty lifting it up to your bulkhead top without some kind of ramp. I don't have or need any rollers. There is little enough friction that the boat will pretty much self launch once I get it past the balance point. When I retrieve it, as soon as it is half-way up the ramp, it will level out and it easily slides forward on to my yard. I have no problem extending into the lake. I have a dock for my powerboat that extends about 25 feet out so the little ramp makes no difference. If you can extend a little way out, you might be able still use a small ramp to lift the bows. You would just have to make sure all loose items are removed before you lift them so they don't roll off into the water. I think the boat has enough flotation to support it while you get it up and over.

Sincerely, Pete!!!