Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, I'm confused. I just bought a used sail kit. These are the two mast parts. (Photos are taken from either end with the two parts side-by-side.)One fits loosely inside the other. Am I missing a connector??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Becky,

Here is the instruction sheet for the kayak sail. I hope it answers all your questions.

The two mast pieces just slip together .. mine has a bungee holding the two pieces together but yours looks to be separtate but not to worry.
The thinner mast is the top section. I believe the unpainted end should go into the larger bottom section where the rivet is the stop. The fit is not that tight. The mast is slid up into the sail and the top seam is closed holding the mast like a sock. The stretch cord bungee at the bottom of the sail locks it all down to the hook below the mast hole in the kayak.

Here are the instructions which you may not have received with a used sail:

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/OutSailKit.pdf

Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay! Thanks Revo. That makes sense. I do have the diagram, and it kind of confused me.

So.. I have it all together now on the living room floor. Looks good! Ran out to the garage to check for the hook below the mast hole, and there it is, right where it should be. However, it seems to me that the bungie loop would have to be pulled extremely tight to stretch that far, if that is even possible. Since I have your marvelous brain to pick, I've taken a picture, so you can see what I'm contending with. The ruler represents the depth which the mast can be inserted into the mast hole. The quarter represents the location of the hook for the bungie loop. As you can see, that is a long way to pull the loop. It would be extremely tight and pull very strongly on the point where the top of the mast is held by cloth. What do you think? (Edited to add: the mast is inserted all the way into the sail and there is 23 inches of mast that is not covered by sail. About 9 of that goes into the mast hole.)

Also, do you have anything attached to your mast pieces to save them if they fall overboard while taking the sail down out on the water?

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Becky it will stretch that far and it is a tight stretch takes two hands.

When you use the sail on the water you do not need to take it all apart.
keep the mast in the sail and roll it all up and then lash it down to the paddle holder.

At the bottom of the Mirage Sail Kit page there are videos. At the end of the video is the setup on the water and to stow it is just the reverse.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/kayak_sail.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Once again, you've solved my problem/eased my mind. I guess I have it all, and I'm ready to go give it a try on the next warm, calm day. Again, I thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Becky maybe I am picky about sail shape but on my wifes Revo I used a Clam Cleat with fairlead riveted to the mast to allow for an adjustable down haul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[/quote]I used a Clam Cleat with fairlead riveted to the mast to allow for an adjustable down haul

Down haul is the tension pulling the sail down the mast? Which is accomplished on my sail by that tight bungie loop? It sounds as if you're saying that there is an advantage to being able to adjust this tension, and that you have done so by replacing the bungie with a line and cleat. Am I with you? If so, what is the advantage to this adjustment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Becky you are with me on this I have have found being able to adjust the downhaul helps me controle the amount of draft in the sail ans the position of the draft. I use a Ronstan RF 5101 cleat with fairlead and slot for line. For a line I have been running 5/32 Marlow pre strech. Both of which are availible from APS
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi MRL,

Do you have any pictures of your modification you can post.
picture says a thousand words.

Hope you are enjoying your new adventure Becky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MRL, thanks for your posts. I ditto Revo in that a picture would be great, though I do think I understand what you are describing. This is my first adventure with a sail, so now that I know it came with all the right parts, I'll try it just as it is for the time being. However, your posts sent me googling and I've turned up all kinds of information about sailing, including a good primer. More fun stuff to learn about!

Revo, I haven't been able to get out with my adventure yet but plan to go to Ozello tomorrow afternoon with a friend who is an experienced kayaker. I have borrowed a simple GPS device and have been learning how to use it. I'll fool around with that and a compass tomorrow so I can start to learn navigation. I would like to eventually paddle (pedal) some of the Florida Circumnav. Paddling Trail.